Argentine Engine?

sibley71

Hi, first post on here so please excuse any silly questions! I have a 300tdi engine - removed from the car at the moment- that has a strange engine number. It has been stamped up as a 25L but these three characters seem to be different from the rest of the engine number. It also has an "International Engines South America" sticker on it which is backed up by having "IND ARGENTINA" embossed on the block. It came out of a Wolf 90 (1998) and hasn't really run right despite having a new turbo, reconditioned head and new head gasket etc, but it was still really smoky and drank oil. Someone had suggested that it could be a 2.8litre engine that we had been fitting 2.5litre ancillaries on, so once it was removed from the car we verified it was a 2.5 by measuring the bores. Despite not running right it did seem to have a bit better performance than the 300 tdi we replaced it with. Does anyone know anything about Argentinian engines or could shed any light on what engine it is. Many thanks in advance..

To my eternal disgust all the post 1998 300Tdi engines have "Industria Argentina" on the engine block, even the ones fitted at the factory up until 2006. I presume they bought in the blocks. Never had a problem with them though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BogMonster said:

To my eternal disgust all the post 1998 300Tdi engines have "Industria Argentina" on the engine block, even the ones fitted at the factory up until 2006. I presume they bought in the blocks. Never had a problem with them though.

Why is that? "Disgust?" - so that means all the ROW spec trucks had them?

When production of the 300tdi engine stopped here, the design was sold or licenced to International / MWM, who continued production in (I think) Brazil, then later in Argentina.

They were available in several versions, 2.8 and 2.5, with conventional or variable nozzle turbo. In that market, they were used in Ford Rangers and Merc Sprinters, and there were generator set and marinised versions as well. I think engines were supplied back either to LR or MOD as service units, as well as to LR for RoW vehicles. The last rework programme of the Wolf 110s fitted 2.8 engines. I think those had wastegate turbos from the couple of pictures I've seen.

LR will probably have had service lifetime supply contracts for MOD vehicles, so the only options would have been fill a warehouse with spare engines, maintain a full facility to build small production runs, or do a deal to get someone else to undertake the manufacture.

The 2.8 engine had some head rework to improve cooling, but I don't think that carried over to the 2.5 units. The most obvious external difference is that the head bolts alongside the manifolds are smaller diameter than on 300tdi. I have the HS2500 parts catalogue if you need it, but as far as I know all parts are direct crossover from the 300tdi. Motor& Diesel used to sell both 2.8 and 2.5 engines and conversions and still supply parts last time I looked.

1 hour ago, mmgemini said:

What Land Rover parts are made in UK

I'm not suggesting that is my point of view, but Bogmonster. 

But now remembering where he is, it makes more sense still!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maverik said:

Why is that? "Disgust?" - so that means all the ROW spec trucks had them?

Let's just say supporting any industry in that part of the world sticks in the throat a bit around these parts!

Yes - all the later engines must have been assembled by International I think. However apart from the fact that the things like the timing belt issues were long since worked out of the design, the engines are basically indistinguishable from the original UK-built ones as far as performance and reliability goes. The basic engine remains solid, but the quality of some of the ancilliaries is a bit rubbish, much as it always was. Mine has 35,000 miles on it, the wife's around 90k miles, although hers is getting a bit tired now it's done a lot of hard work.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 4:46 PM, mmgemini said:

Next time you go to a Land Rover dealership to buy spares. Look at the country it's made in. Not many made in the UK

Agreed.  Far too much made in China and India, both of which are nations with repugnant attitudes towards people and pollution and riddled with corruption.

• Like 1