Cummins R2.8

Maverik

Came across this the other day, thought it was quite interesting, you don't hear much about Cummins in vehicles over here, although they seem to dominate small marine engines. 

Thought it might be of interest on here.

Out the box engine:

https://shopcummins.com/products/cummins-r28-turbo-diesel?variant=28164531421284

LR Conversion adaptors:

https://quickdrawbrand.com/product/cummins-r28-land-rover-defender-crate-engine-with-complete-adapter-kit/

• Like 1

Not a bad option for a new engine to just bolt in....

Specs:

Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel Specifications:

• Horsepower: 161 hp (120 kW)
  •  
  • Torque: 310 lb-ft (420 Nm)
  •  
  • Displacement: 171 ci (2800 cc)
  •  
  • Cylinders: 4
  •  
  • Compression: 16.9:1
  •  
  • Bore: 3.70 in (94 mm)
  •  
  • Stroke: 3.94 in (100 mm)
  •  
  • Dimensions: 28.3"h x 25"w x 25.1"d
  •  
  • Aspiration: Turbocharged & Aftercooled
  •  
  • Fuel System: Bosch Electronic
  •  
  • Weight: 503 lb (228 kg)

420Nm is a bit over the box rating, but not massively.

Weight is surprisingly low.

Long bellhousing R380 only, though, I would probably prefer an autobox behind it.

It is a popular conversion in the states, quite a lot of disco/range conversion out there.

I've read of guys in the USA using this as a modern alternative to the Tdi. They seem to be getting quite keen on the idea of small diesels in Defenders.
I have an idea East Coast Rover Co has written about such a conversion too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Will that engine fit a stumpy R380? Just curious. Surely if it will fit the long shaft R380 it will fit the stumpy but sit further back in the engine bay?

No, I said about this a couple.of posts up ;)

I seem to remember it is to do with flywheel depth and engine rear housing config.

20 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

No, I said about this a couple.of posts up ;)

I seem to remember it is to do with flywheel depth and engine rear housing config.

I saw,  I just didn't really understand why. That's a shame as i have a stumpy R380 and am done changing gearboxes!

There is an official installation manual with cad drawings of flywheel housing etc., so you can work out your own adapters. It looked to me like the turbo position might be a PITA for a RHD land rover but I never got further than a coffee time project.

ISTR it was developed by Cummins for a Nissan research project for a small diesel for US market pick up trucks. I only found it in one production vehicle, a chinese pickup that was available in Australia. At one time the engines were listed on Alibaba, even before Cummins released the Re-Power kits.

2 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

One of the many You Tube sites, who do LR work in 'murica,tried one. They came up with the results that it simply wasn't worth doing financially

In a country where fuel is cheap and LS engines are ten-a-penny it must be quite hard to justify $5k on a 4-pot diesel conversion. Especially as these days it doesn't even avoid having one of them dang fangled ECU thingies :D

• Like 1

But throwing an LS in a Defender or a D1/2 is kind of pointless, as you have to change the whole drive-train. Also add the extra $5k to fit the engine, that you bought for $7,700..

Then you find out it's not actually that frugal... so you might as well fit a rebuilt RV8

On 7/4/2020 at 5:28 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

It's a neat package but I can't help but expect it will twist any LR gearbox apart in no time, much like the TGV lumps or the other various larger diesel conversions seem to.

Dividing Creek has done dozens of them with Ashcroft strengthened R380 and have zero issues. There are adapters built for a host of other stronger boxes currently available as well if that floats your boat, but the R380 seems fine.

6 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

In a country where fuel is cheap and LS engines are ten-a-penny it must be quite hard to justify $5k on a 4-pot diesel conversion. Especially as these days it doesn't even avoid having one of them dang fangled ECU thingies :D

The VW TDI scene is very big over there, most posters on the TDI forum are american; They pay strong money for VW TDI engines to be shipped over to the US, which we consider 10 a penny over here. I suppose the grass is always greener with regards things that you cannot find locally.

In terms of weight, power and money, this engine is very close to a TGV 2.8, which would be my choice. Just for convenience and simplicity.

Daan