200Tdi into S2a LWB Safari

murphyclan

45 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Not sure how smooth it would be to change gear on the move with an electric motor though. I can see the benefit of gearing choices however. Especially if you want to haul or drive slow off road as well as at highway speeds. I'm not convinced a single gear or direct drive is the solution.

In the RC world, the 'rock crawler' models use different spec motors and gearing. Some even have 2 speed transfer boxes. The fast racing buggies and trucks use completely different KV motors and gearing. I'd imagine it isn't so different when you scale things up.

It’s absolutely fine.  Why would it differ from an IC engine?  The only mayor difference is that for road driving, they’re finding they only need third and fourth, with very few changes.  First and second only tend to get used off road.  Factory built EVs seldom have changeable gears.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

It’s absolutely fine.  Why would it differ from an IC engine?  The only mayor difference is that for road driving, they’re finding they only need third and fourth, with very few changes.  First and second only tend to get used off road.  Factory built EVs seldom have changeable gears.

I'd have thought it would depend on the electronics. As you'd still need a clutch and pressure plate. Would the motor hold it's revs, or would it drop to very low rpm? I suspect all possible, but maybe more than just slapping it onto the bellhousing... which I think was mentioned earlier.

22 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

The accelerator controls the motor revs though - just like it does on a petrol or Diesel engine . So you can feel it and match motor speed to road speed in the new gear in the same way. 

Maybe, I honestly don't know. I'd still have thought, by and large it would depend on the electronic controller. If you have regen capabilities or drag braking, the motor will spin down a lot quicker. Also if you have a flywheel of somekind, this will vary how the motor responds. In an IC car you don't really have to feel the revs, you can just lift off the accelerator and dip the clutch. Be smooth and it'll work fine.

An electric motor can be programmed to behave massively differently with relative ease.

Yes, as long as the motor is big enough.  People using Leaf and other motors of similar capacity are finding they need the full box for off road or towing, as I mentioned.  Don Incoll has demonstrated a lot with his Lightweight conversion and showed how even in low range, the motor didn’t have enough torque in third or fourth for steep climbs off road.  He also set the motor up to smoothly feed the torque in on pressing down the accelerator, so it doesn’t lurch about or shock load anything.  He has it doing regenerative braking, too.