Anyone heard of Ironman winches?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

Got an Ironman bumper on one of my vehicles (not a Land Rover) and thinking about a winch for it. Obviously the Ironman one will fit the bumper perfectly, but I don't know if they are a bit pricey or how they compare to others?

http://westcoastoffroad.co.uk/product/ironman-9500lbs-monster-winch-with-synthetic-rope/

It's one of the generic Chinese made winches. Probably ok; as long as you maintain it.

You could get better for less TDS winches are imported by Goodwinch and a few others - all the same. Look at this https://www.firstfour.co.uk/product/tds-c12000tdsc-12-volt-winch/

Brilliant winch, well made and reliable. The 12k version is better to work than a 9.5k...

3 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

It's one of the generic Chinese made winches. Probably ok; as long as you maintain it.

You could get better for less TDS winches are imported by Goodwinch and a few others - all the same. Look at this https://www.firstfour.co.uk/product/tds-c12000tdsc-12-volt-winch/

Brilliant winch, well made and reliable. The 12k version is better to work than a 9.5k...

Thanks. Just curious, but you know for certain the Ironman one is just a generic Chinese winch, or is it a guess? Not doubting you, I just like to be certain :)

Going by the pics the winch in your link looks a lot bigger physically than the Ironman one, don't know if it will fit the bumper. The winch tray is enclosed.

They are sold under the Dominator brand as well. So well respected. The days of cheap Chinese copies are lagging behind us.

Most Chinese winches are very good. But, like most Chinese designed stuff, not overly complicated. So no additional water resistant seals - like the TDS

When one winch company does come up with a new idea it gets copied fast

However I'm generalising here - Taiwan is probably the leading designer and manufacturer of modern, hi volume sales, winches. So China tends to acquire there designs - like with the TDS

Here is a quote from a senior member of the Come Up sales team 

"I just want to let you know, the King-one has copied our cone-brake patents back in 2006.
the Chinese woman in your post, she was the accountant staff in our China factory and has no mechanical knowledge.
When she got fired in 2006, she stole our design and set up another winch factory. She purchased the same parts from our supplier in China. That's the reason why King-one products are so similar to our DV and Seal series.
All the winch factories in China know this story"

For us, the buyer, we get a selection of pretty good kit. But what changes is the materials. So the cheaper end winches are made form cheaper materials. Your Iron man winch is expensive because it's imported into Aus, then out again. And Iron-man is expensive in the UK - containers are expensive. I used a couple of these generic winches whilst in Aus last year. Perfectly decent bit of kit.

But... the TDS is better. It's a better design, bigger main shaft, more water resistant and easy to get parts for

• Like 2