What do we want to see?

I like what I see so far. I don't really need to buy another vehicle any time soon, because I bought a late Puma as a 'spare', but I like the ethos behind this thing a lot and I might well buy one.

So, now we've got a shiny new forum, how about a thread on factory options we'd like to see?

For me it ticks many of the boxes already. It's built on a solid-looking suspension setup (have to wait and see if it has a decent ride off road to match a Defender, too many others are too soft or too hard). It has a decent sized engine if the 3L diesel comes along (always said the ideal combo would be the Puma with the 3.2L engine out of my Shogun). And I presume it must have better rollover protection than Defender if it is going to get certified, as that's a major issue here.

Options/features yet to be confirmed?

- Ability to fit oversize tyres for soft ground, min 33" dia 12.5" wide without fouling/damage, better if up to 35" dia without major mods.

- Ability to fit 15" or at most 16" wheels, to retain some sidewall.

- A standard hub pattern, 5x165 to match Defender would be great, if not then Jap 6 stud, for plenty of aftermarket wheels.

- Factory fit options for front and rear ATB diffs or difflocks (or both). Sounds like it's possible. Proper centre difflock - of course.

- Factory option for a HD front.rear bumper, ARB sort of thing, unless it already is this sort of build

- Solid point to bolt a tow hitch onto both at chassis height and a drop plate. A solid 2" receiver hitch integrated into the back of the chassis would work

- Solid tow point on the front - another central receiver hitch?

- Option to above - an easy to fit solid winchbumper with front towing points

- Strong Brownchurch-style galv ladder roof rack and roof bars

- Spare wheel carrier on the door that will stand up to continuous use on rough roads

- Waterproof snorkel system, not one stuck onto the wing with silicone

- End-user diagnostics for remote locations + an app for a phone or tablet

The starting price needs to be sensible or none of the above matters.

And I want to see them bring one to the Falklands to test ;)

2 hours ago, BogMonster said:

I like what I see so far. I don't really need to buy another vehicle any time soon, because I bought a late Puma as a 'spare', but I like the ethos behind this thing a lot and I might well buy one.

So, now we've got a shiny new forum, how about a thread on factory options we'd like to see?

For me it ticks many of the boxes already. It's built on a solid-looking suspension setup (have to wait and see if it has a decent ride off road to match a Defender, too many others are too soft or too hard). It has a decent sized engine if the 3L diesel comes along (always said the ideal combo would be the Puma with the 3.2L engine out of my Shogun). And I presume it must have better rollover protection than Defender if it is going to get certified, as that's a major issue here.

Options/features yet to be confirmed?

- Ability to fit oversize tyres for soft ground, min 33" dia 12.5" wide without fouling/damage, better if up to 35" dia without major mods.

- Ability to fit 15" or at most 16" wheels, to retain some sidewall.

- A standard hub pattern, 5x165 to match Defender would be great, if not then Jap 6 stud, for plenty of aftermarket wheels.

- Factory fit options for front and rear ATB diffs or difflocks (or both). Sounds like it's possible. Proper centre difflock - of course.

- Factory option for a HD front.rear bumper, ARB sort of thing, unless it already is this sort of build

- Solid point to bolt a tow hitch onto both at chassis height and a drop plate. A solid 2" receiver hitch integrated into the back of the chassis would work

- Solid tow point on the front - another central receiver hitch?

- Option to above - an easy to fit solid winchbumper with front towing points

- Strong Brownchurch-style galv ladder roof rack and roof bars

- Spare wheel carrier on the door that will stand up to continuous use on rough roads

- Waterproof snorkel system, not one stuck onto the wing with silicone

- End-user diagnostics for remote locations + an app for a phone or tablet

The starting price needs to be sensible or none of the above matters.

And I want to see them bring one to the Falklands to test ;)

hub pattern appears to be current era jeep so gives plenty option of wheel choices,
will be interesting to see what the next short while brings, dunno if its a good thing or not to have signed up for the priority release 🤣

2 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

I'd like to see an actual vehicle rather than a CGI rendering :D

They had the clay one in the video, in the design shop :)

Appreciate it is not 'in the metal/plastic', but it is there :)

Good dealer network spread that :

1. Genuinely know the product.
  2. That are not full of sales people who only know how to punch a keyboard and operate the coffee machine.
  3. Service staff and technicians who have good product knowledge, really care and don't expect customers knowledge as never having advanced from the Ladybird Book Of Cars & Lorries.

The vehicle should offer:

1. Decent corrosion protection.
  2. Be manufactured with an eye to longevity.
  3. Robust towing points.
  4. Real knobs and switches as opposed to an over reliance on touchscreen controls.

That will do for starters, I'll probably think of more when I'm not trying to do other stuff as well.

• Like 1

Options for twin/multiple battery systems with a parallel electrical system for accessories, to avoid tapping into or modifying(aka wrecking) the main wiring loom.

Option for a fuel based heater, like Webasto or Eberspacher.

Option for a water tanks which can use engine coolant for heating the water up (ideally in concert with a fuel operated engine preheated like Webasto).  Useful for washing/showering and may have work uses, not just camping/overlanding.

optional extra fuel tanks underneath, not just one large tank, so Jerry cans are redundant and you don’t need to stand on a dangerous roadside in the rain to fill up, and so that a single leaking tank doesn’t strand the vehicle in a remote location.

Option for solar panels on the roof with battery chargers integrated in the battery bay.

I'd like to see it being very, very basic. Like Dacia Logan of 4x4 world. Or like Defender, when it wasnt called Defender, but just 110. 

It looks though it will be more like G Wagen in size, weight, and appearance. 

Easily user-tweakable aurobox shift-points [I *hate* autos that insist on shifting into 9th gear at 40MPH meaning the thing''s numb as a badger's bum] and/or really-sensitive kickdown.
24-volt electrics and a properly engineered dual-battery option.
21st-century soundproofing/waterproofing.
Heated windscreen/mirrors [why are these not required as standard safety-features on all new cars?].
Decent corrosion-protection.
Reversing camera [turns hooking-up a trailer from a 5-minute job to a 30-second one]
Top-quality, hack-proof security/immobilizer [this is one area that JLR seem to have got right on their current models].

And:

A credible service/support/dealer-network with decent coverage. Remote-diagnostics will help here, but if you're broken-down in Didcot and the nearest dealer's in Darlington.....

• 2 weeks later...

If i'm buying one it'll be for the business rather than for me personally (i've already got a TD5 so won't need anything else) which changes my requirements a little:

1 - a decent sized inverter for charging equipment, preferably from a dual battery system

2 - weatherproof and relatively comfortable for 7 hour+ trips

3 - wash down rear load area

4 - a rear spare wheel carrier that doesn't destroy the back door or make it heavy to open

5 - easy to work on - i don't want to have to plug it in to wind back calipers when replacing brake pads

Hmm 12v bus bar and decent earth point accessible for additional electrical items like roof ramps and internal ad ons. Nothing worse than having to chop into a loom to find a 12v live etc.

Standardise vehicle wiring looms across the specifications depending on spec level it's always nice to add something later in its life that you maybe couldn't afford at the time of buyong. If the wiring is there in the first place it takes away a lot of hassle of adding "electric windows".

OBD that is readable without more kit, for the engine, gearbox and interior systems. After my last experiences with new vehicles, I would like to be able to avoid the dealer network once out of warranty.

Well priced spares - they don;t have to be cheap, they have to be "good value". The ability to add trim options in the field from factory kits. To afford to buy the damn thing I need a "bare" one, to stop family from whinging, I need to add creature comforts over time.

I want a vehicle I can keep for 30 years+, so the same basic infrastructure with stuff I can add/alter, (pretty much like the old Defender, but without the leaks, drafts and rust!)