Galvanised Disco 2 Chassis

Simon_CSK

Am in the process of clearing out some of my toy box. I have had much enjoyment and miles out of my Disco and am thinking that it is time it went to pastures new. 

As a car it has done too many miles and I think I could get more out of it breaking it up.

It has a Galvanised chassis and was wondering just how much money would be in the chassis second hand?

Technically second hand chassis aren't able to be sold, unless the purchaser is using it off road, or wants to run it through a test which we must never mention.

So... You may make more money, but a lot of places won't even let you list something like that, accompanied by an ID.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Technically second hand chassis aren't able to be sold, unless the purchaser is using it off road, or wants to run it through a test which we must never mention.

So... You may make more money, but a lot of places won't even let you list something like that, accompanied by an ID.

I don’t believe this is correct. Else you wouldn’t be able to buy new pattern parts one either. A chassis is not a restricted or licensed product. 

7 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I don’t believe this is correct. Else you wouldn’t be able to buy new pattern parts one either. A chassis is not a restricted or licensed product. 

New ones don’t have a previous ID though - that’s the difference.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

New ones don’t have a previous ID though - that’s the difference.

Exactly.

Look at the points system for keeping a registration:

Keep the original registration number

Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.

Part Points
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer)

I never said it was illegal selling a chassis, but it is seen as a dubious/suspicious activity because it is a great way to sell a vehicle ID for cloning onto a stolen one.

I know you don't like the law, but it there for a reason ;)

• Like 2

My understanding is that it’s not illegal to use it - but using it would give you a Q plate:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

Using it whilst keeping the original registration - or adopting the registration originally associated with the chassis will be an offence - because you’re not following the statutory requirements....  though I don’t know what statutes it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retroanaconda said:

What’s wrong with it? Main issue with the D2 is chassis rot, so if that has been sorted it should be worth selling as a whole?

The car has lots of bits on it that are more valuable off it. The body is not the best and it has over 200k on the clock. Inside is not what you could call clean. Am in the middle of sorting the front axle but because of all the vehicles I have I need to clear things away. I want to get down to three cars so I can get working on my CSK

1 minute ago, Anderzander said:

Could I make a radical suggestion....?

Turn it into a D2 100” hi cap Defender like @mudmonkey ? 

I currently have 3 Disco 2's one Classic RR, 2 P38's and three L322's I have just sold my Mini and a Discovery 2 and am trying to sell all the D2's and two of the L322's so I can spend some much needed love on my CSK.

I don't need any more projects at the moment. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Anderzander said:

My understanding is that it’s not illegal to use it - but using it would give you a Q plate:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

Using it whilst keeping the original registration - or adopting the registration originally associated with the chassis will be an offence - because you’re not following the statutory requirements....  though I don’t know what statutes it is.

That doesn't say anything at all about selling or buying a chassis.

13 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Fwiw, my quotes are from that page @Anderzander links to.

I think you guys may be misreading the word 'original'. I believe this means 'type' not the physical item it left the factory with. The rational for this is, that same page also states original against the engine/axles/transmission and steering. If we were to adopt the position that 'original' meant the physical item from the factory, then anyone with a replacement engine (same engine, just a different engine number), gearbox (same gearbox, bur recon), different shocks/springs (longer shocks, different spring rate) and HD shafts/different diff would be at risk of a Q plate. And I think clearly this isn't the case.

It’s this bit: 

Get a ‘Q’ registration number

You will not be able to keep your vehicle’s original registration number if one of the following applies:

• it has a second-hand or altered chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I think you guys may be misreading the word 'original'. I believe this means 'type' not the physical item it left the factory with. The rational for this is, that same page also states original against the engine/axles/transmission and steering. If we were to adopt the position that 'original' meant the physical item from the factory, then anyone with a replacement engine (same engine, just a different engine number), gearbox (same gearbox, bur recon), different shocks/springs (longer shocks, different spring rate) and HD shafts/different diff would be at risk of a Q plate. And I think clearly this isn't the case.

Its all a farce in any case. What they actually mean is "original" as in original specification. If you read the actual wording its quite clear, so "interpreting" or bending the words so suit what you have, or want to do, is wrong. Therefore ALL changes of engines, fuel type, gearboxes, axles, etc etc, P38 steering boxes, suspension lifts etc, fall foul of the wording.

The way its worded, all you can legally do is bolt on accessories..

Therefore, virtually every Land Rover on the road (this means you) and almost every classic car, should have a "Q" plate and pay tax at whatever rate they choose to apply.

Remember, its all about the money !

Personally, I see no problem with using a pre enjoyed chassis, or altering it even. provided it has been done to a proper standard, and has not been stolen

12 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

I think nobody has answered the original question. How much is it worth. As a chassis and as a rolling chassis?

As it legally cannot be used unless for a purely off road toy, or is re registered, effectively not a lot, unless it has had NO I.D. stamped on it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smallfry said:

As it legally cannot be used unless for a purely off road toy, or is re registered, effectively not a lot, unless it has had NO I.D. stamped on it

Yes it can if it is a rolling chassis that retains the axles,steering and suspension, oh and there is no id on it

Is it a proper new and then galvanised chassis, or an old used chassis that has been galvanised? I have seen a couple of the latter and they have still rusted out in the common spots eventually. I guess that might affect answers....