Engine

Green200tdi

2 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Not quite sure on your question. Factory Range Rovers had the V8 in 3.5 thru to 4.2, carb and EFI. 

Also the 2.4 and 2.5 VM Turbo Diesel. And the Tdi’s. 

Yup that’s what I mean they were made from new and it’s engine was a v8

What are you actually trying to work out here - are you looking at a Range Rover with a TDi in it and wondering if it's original fitment (which it might be, or it might not be), or are you just researching Range Rover trivia you could find on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_Rover#First_generation_(1969–1996)

20 years:) ish - it's still a long while with just the one engine option , sort of reinforces the superb design package of the RRC .

I still think it is the most significant model LR ever came up with and I really love an 80" .

Steve

10 hours ago, steve b said:

20 years:) ish - it's still a long while with just the one engine option , sort of reinforces the superb design package of the RRC .

I still think it is the most significant model LR ever came up with and I really love an 80" .

Steve

I think the lack of engine options might have been more down to a lack of engine choices in production. They didn't really have anything else to put in it. Had project Iceberg not failed (a diesel variant of the RV8). I'm sure we would have seen this in the RR a long time before the VM of the 1980's.

Well , the 2.2TC was in the P6 and then there was the 2.6 SD1 as well to name two , and how rubbish would they have been ?

The V8 Rover just works so well in the RRC . The factory fit Tdi's were also fine as a diesel , very driveable - the last RRC I had was a 200 manual , pretty quiet and 30mpg too , the steelwork rusted away though as they do .

Steve

16 minutes ago, steve b said:

Well , the 2.2TC was in the P6 and then there was the 2.6 SD1 as well to name two , and how rubbish would they have been ?

The V8 Rover just works so well in the RRC . The factory fit Tdi's were also fine as a diesel , very driveable - the last RRC I had was a 200 manual , pretty quiet and 30mpg too , the steelwork rusted away though as they do .

Steve

Weren't the 2.2 and 2.6 mounted to different boxes though? Would seem a lot of work to get them in an RR and for only making a much worse vehicle as a result. I can see why they didn't bother. Also back in the early 1970s, there generally tended to be less engine options anyway. Apart from America maybe, where lots of engine options have been the norm since the early 1960s.

I guess the only logical engine from the British Leyland collection would have been the Jaguar XK unit, probably in 4.2 guise (ignoring the infighting at BL that would prevent such a thing). As it would have offered a performance hike over the RV8. To offer a 2 teir line up. Although it would probably seem odd from a marketing point of view that a V8 is the base engine and an engine with less cylinders is the top of the range. The RR certainly didn't need an engine with less power than the low CR 3.5 RV8 and diesel in non commercial vehicle was still a long way off.