Shock turret help

ianmayco68

Hi all , I’ve just fitted some new springs and some  Koni heavy track raid to the front of the 110 , got same on the rear and I’ve got a problem, the shocks are hitting the turrets which are the tubular ones from paddocks and going down the road it’s bouncing around like a kangaroo 🦘. So obviously I need new turrets but has anyone come across a similar problem with there set up and which turrets did you fit ? Before I spend my hard earned on them , been looking at the adrenaline 4x4 ones 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182475371495   any help much appreciated as always .

I had Gwyn Lewis shock turrets - and I really liked them, loads of space, galvanised, and a nice simple design to keep clean. He did them in. Std  height and +2, which requires the turret covers cutting or removing.

Where are they catching? Are your new shocks a wider body? 

I can’t remember what the fronts are .... but if they are pin to pin, could you turn them upside down ? 

Yes the body’s wider , can’t turn them upside down as it says to fit them they way I have them . The body of the shock is hitting the base of the turret as they encroach on the opening in the spring mount if the internal diameter of the turret was bigger it wouldn’t be a problem, I’ll see if I can get a pic .

No they aren’t sided not that I no too did look when I brought them ages ago  , I’ll have a look at that tomorrow night Ralph but the lip on the rubber washers is in the hole and both sides are the same , the terrafirma ones I took off sat forward slightly.

These ate the ones I’ve got fitted 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163143042072

but from paddocks just looked on there web site and doesn’t say there handed , I think I’m going to take the off and sand down the inside won’t need a lot taking off and shouldn’t weaken them , need to get them sorted as I’ve got to borrow the wife’s disco sport tomorrow and she’s not happy about me using it for work😁 .

My tubular towers look the same as the ebay link above, I bought them galvanised from a guy in one of the Land Rover groups on Facebook, pretty sure they are not handed, mine definitly aren't. they do have the 'blip' on the inside, I'll sort a photo when home from work tomorrow. I run OME dampers as well. N44 on the front IIRC. 

It stays the same I think , they look identical from memory because when I first brought them I thought they’d be handed but I tried always and I couldn’t get them to mirror, if you know what I mean . One sits with the opening slanted to the rear and the other side slants to the front , I’ll have a play when I get home from work tomorrow . 

17 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

It stays the same I think , they look identical from memory because when I first brought them I thought they’d be handed but I tried always and I couldn’t get them to mirror, if you know what I mean . One sits with the opening slanted to the rear and the other side slants to the front , I’ll have a play when I get home from work tomorrow . 

Did someone sell you two identical ones instead of a LH and RH one maybe?

Rite update I’ve done a bit of measuring, a standard turret is roughly 100/110mm internal diameter,a standard shock is 50/60mm measured these off old parts lying around . The Koni shock is 70mm diameter and the gap on the turret I’ve got fitted between the bits that stick over the spring housing is 80mm , the turret overhangs the inside by 10/15mm ,

image.thumb.jpg.af9a75257886a1dd857a5e521ff5f180.jpg

so there’s not enough wiggle room for the shocks just 5mm each side .

Yippee cheers @pat_pending now I know I’m not going mad 👍.Does any of the kind gentleman that have gwyn Lewis shock turrets have any to hand so they could measure the inside clearance for me please ? So think I’ve found the reason for the shocks sitting forward, as they wider , the bolt that holds the spring plate & retaining plate down was too high , I’d put a washer and spring washer on and the shock wouldn’t swivel back. So here’s a pic of the turret 

97CF5BBC-C361-431E-BC81-6AD2B8A4CE4D.thumb.jpeg.2eaad93ff971e8cf88d7638aa28d20de.jpeg

0AB2AB82-A863-4515-9F56-6EF07A7EBA40.thumb.jpeg.52636353cca23cf2859d08b0aee89dcd.jpeg

so do I do as pat has done and sand the nibs off that would give me 100mm clearance or buy some new turrets , options please ?