Shock turret help

ianmayco68

4 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

I’d only sand the nibs back to make the circumference of the inner circle even , then tap the tubes in if needed then reweld and weld the inner part of the tube, can’t see it weakening it that much .

I agree, I don’t think it would weaken them much, if at all. 

Ok just measured GL4x4 standard height turret with relocator and it’s 94mm, it would be about 100mm without the relocator. So, either way, you’ll have plenty of room for your shocks.

so that’s these ones... https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/front-std-height-hd-turrets-including-re-locators-gl1056/

I suspect the +2 turrets would be the same.

cheers

Steve

Cheers all , just to put this one to bed Gwyn’s turrets fitted and all okay had a trip to work in it Saturday and rides great . Problem was I’d put a spring washer under the spring retaining plates making them too high and the shock wouldn’t swivel enough and the turrets where to narrow on the internal diameter so the shock was catching on the bits that stuck out on the inside .

cheers Ian 

Strange geometry.  I never took a close look on my RRC or wife’s 90, but I’d always assumed the spring brackets and towers would be ever so slightly ahead of the axle to allow for the axle’s forward travel as the radius arm rotates upward.  Those photos show the damper and spring leaning the opposite way from what I expected, such that their lean would be pronounced as the spring compresses.

2 hours ago, Daan said:

Gosh those shocks are big diameter. you can't have damper shaft protectors on there or they would clash.

I was just about to write the same thing !  I had some OME shocks on my last 90 that I thought were pretty chunky - these are much bigger. 

IIRC it looks like Gwyn has changed his towers a little - I seem to remember mine had a small drilled hole in on of the faces to show which side went forward ? 

@ianmayco68 Thanks for the pictures 😊

Yes there’s no hole in these ones but they drop in easily didn’t even have to loosen the expansion tank to fit them , wish I’d brought these last time😁 , and they are chunky but very smooth in there movement. Yes I’ve always thought something was wrong but did a search on the net and found pics with the shocks tilting that way at a slight angle , I suppose when you think about it there wouldn’t be lots of movement as the spring compresses but as the axle moves down away from the chassis it would pivot rear wards straightening the shock .