Zeus front brake conversion

Cornish Rattler

Hi guys

I'm looking at fitting a Zeus front brake conversion to my S2a swb, i was going to go for the Heystee conversion but the Zeus is better on price and availability so thought i would ask if anyone on here has fitted the Zeus conversion and what is it like to fit and how the performance is please 🙂

I've fitted. Not used as I've not finished the build.

1) you can't use series rims. Not even with spacers, unless an inch and a half deep

2) they cover the filler hole slightly

3) they feel very well made and solid

For the next build I'll get heystee, as the series rims will fit, and defender parts caliper availability is better.

And heystee offer advice on master cylinders

38 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I've fitted. Not used as I've not finished the build.

1) you can't use series rims. Not even with spacers, unless an inch and a half deep

2) they cover the filler hole slightly

3) they feel very well made and solid

For the next build I'll get heystee, as the series rims will fit, and defender parts caliper availability is better.

And heystee offer advice on master cylinders

Yeah i'm running series / Defender steel modulars 6j wheels.

Our Hybrid has front & rear the Zeus kit

afbeelding.png.223ead3973146ac9df085787f6098525.png

Series rims - as mentioned - will not really fit, even with 30 mm. spacers

As a company they're the worst when it comes to comms & sales

Not needed bits - standard barkepads.

Basically fit & forget

15 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Our Hybrid has front & rear the Zeus kit

afbeelding.png.223ead3973146ac9df085787f6098525.png

Series rims - as mentioned - will not really fit, even with 30 mm. spacers

As a company they're the worst when it comes to comms & sales

Not needed bits - standard barkepads.

Basically fit & forget

Yeah fit and forget is what i'm after 🙂

I looked at the Zeus kit. I managed to find out where the callipers are from. So that I could buy spares/new one/or even located pads cheap enough. I couldn't find a source for the discs irrc. My concern would be, if Zeus stop trading, where will you be able to get replacement discs from? Seemed quite a high risk on what was still an expensive modification.

I assume the discs may be machined custom for Zeus.

I know a similar problem exists for the Santana PS-10, it uses Santana own discs. Which you can no longer get.

The Heystee kit if I remember correctly allows standard Defender discs to be used, which is obviously much more future proof. But how they can justify the cost I have no idea.

I think for a fairly standard Series I'd stick with drums. A well maintained drum setup should be more than sufficient. Or I'd look at going the whole hog and fit coiler axles.

I can not comment on the Heystee kit.

As you may have noticed we have the TIC parabolics & Koni shocks and quite happy with them.

As for the disks, not to worried about it as I see how much / little they wear.

That Series is not standard and these brakes are working just fine for us.

8 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I looked at the Zeus kit. I managed to find out where the callipers are from. So that I could buy spares/new one/or even located pads cheap enough. I couldn't find a source for the discs irrc. My concern would be, if Zeus stop trading, where will you be able to get replacement discs from? Seemed quite a high risk on what was still an expensive modification.

I assume the discs may be machined custom for Zeus.

I know a similar problem exists for the Santana PS-10, it uses Santana own discs. Which you can no longer get.

The Heystee kit if I remember correctly allows standard Defender discs to be used, which is obviously much more future proof. But how they can justify the cost I have no idea.

I think for a fairly standard Series I'd stick with drums. A well maintained drum setup should be more than sufficient. Or I'd look at going the whole hog and fit coiler axles.

Yeah the thought did cross my mind but i thought i read somewhere that they used Ford disc's and calipers so thought i could sorce parts that way.

If you have any part numbers I'd be interested. I'll try and dig out the ones for the callipers that I have.

40 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Yeah the thought did cross my mind but i thought i read somewhere that they used Ford disc's and calipers so thought i could sorce parts that way.

I’m involved with an ongoing discussion with Zeus regarding the requirement for a wheel size of 6J or above as stated on their website.

I have 6.5J rims so in theory they should easily clear the calliper however, Zeus are now saying that this may not necessarily be the case and that they would normally recommend either Wolf, 8 spoke or Disco rims.

I have asked for some dimensions to be made available in order to take a measurement at the point where the clash with the calliper is likely to occur and they have agreed to provide them once they have done a 3D scan of a Landrover rim in order to get an accurate measurement.

They are aware that this issue has caused problems for previous purchasers of their kit and so they are taking extra care to get the correct information published as they are also aware that this is a current discussion point in Landrover circles.

The other thing they mentioned was that the calliper has been reduced slightly in size and so it’s likely that this will also affect the dimensional information that they release.

I’m told that I will have an answer this week and if it turns out that my rims are unsuitable, they will cancel my order and refund the payment. I think we can then expect the information on the website to be updated quite soon afterwards.

Finger crossed all will be well but I have to say that up to now they have been very good with the service they’ve provided.

To be honest. Wheel clearance can be down to offset as well as rim width. And even how thick the metal is or type of construction. Some rims will have spokes in different places and the inner rim dimensions can vary wildly, even on rims of the same width.

That said, running a set of spacers or slightly wider offset rims is a simple fix. And something anyone modifying brakes in this fashion should be prepared to do.

As for the parts. I've looked back through my emails and found this:

"brake pads are either Mintex  code mgb 522 or an equivelant such as Borg and Beck code bpp1011."

"The discs themselves are cast in braking grade iron and machined and stress relieved in house by us. They are cast in the U.K.  specifically for our brake kit and are NOT bought in from anyone else and/or modified."

"calipers and disks are bespoke to us. Calipers are manufactured fin SG iron with stainless steel pistons and seals and are pretty much bomb proof. "

I know Zeus have been around a long time. And I'm not suggesting they will not be here. But doing front and rear brakes is quite a financial outlay. My main concern would be about sourcing the discs or overhauling the callipers in say 5, 10 or 20 years time. But I guess this might not be a worry for some.

Zeus mad white brakes for the old London taxis.  They have quite a large market, so I don’t think it’s likely they’ll go out of business, but if you’re worried, you could always buy a spare set of discs now, and any time top you have to fit them, immediately order a replacement set to keep one step ahead.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

To be honest. Wheel clearance can be down to offset as well as rim width. And even how thick the metal is or type of construction. Some rims will have spokes in different places and the inner rim dimensions can vary wildly, even on rims of the same width.

That said, running a set of spacers or slightly wider offset rims is a simple fix. And something anyone modifying brakes in this fashion should be prepared to do.

I agree wholeheartedly however, this needs to be made crystal clear to anyone thinking of buying this kit beforehand as it is a significant financial outlay.

Some people, myself included, are not prepared to compromise on certain aspects of their vehicles appearance and so having this information available will allow a more informed choice to be made.

You really shouldn’t have to find out post-purchase via an Internet forum, that there is a chance the goods you have just bought may not be suitable and I’m just grateful that Gazzar shared his own experience in my build thread which gave me the heads up to dig a bit deeper into this with Zeus.

It’s a positive thing that Zeus appear to recognise that there is some uncertainty around the current information they’ve provided and are trying to clarify it for the benefit of all.

• Like 1

For reference.

These are aligned on the wheel mounting flange:

IMG_20190120_102257.thumb.jpg.6109469f079d1a1cbc09382403c4a6a0.jpg

The well in the middle of the wheel is much more to the centre of the vehicle on a series rim ( right), than on a wolf rim ( left ).

Spirit level is on the out side of the rim.

6 minutes ago, DaveSIIA said:

The rivets on a Series rim protrude on the inside face of the wheel well and may foul the caliper. Tubeless rims are generally welded, giving ~1/8" extra radial clearance.

That’s the concern that I have with my rims.

16F95F82-858B-4B06-9207-69EBD213EB7D.jpeg.7792c530d60fa50adb3b9666665258c8.jpeg

Sorry, I stand corrected about the rivets. The pressed vent is more significant. It has been a while since I looked very closely at the detail inside a Series rim.

The photo from Gazzar would suggest that any Series / Defender rim with a deep well is going to foul. I would have to examine the Wolf rims on my 110 to see whether they share the same well dimensions. Otherwise, after-market or spacers would be the only way to clear the calipers.

It's hard to visualise how much width the calipers add to the assembly.

The issue is having the pistons on both sides of the disk adds the need for enough metal to pipe the fluid to the outside. This makes the profile quite high.

The sliding caliper type could move all the hydraulics inboard, thus the metal required would be much reduced, making the profile much lower.

The comparison photo  above shows a wolf rim, the well is considerably further outboard compared to the series/defender.

It clears easily:

IMG_20190120_103707.thumb.jpg.ad651749fae948ccfdcb7eb9f8d65405.jpg

I've Heystee discs here, one of the early kits. Ex-Santana PS10/ Cadorola. These running with stock rims. I was lucky enough to find a set of proper deep steels. Not for me, Zues kits, require a set of w*nkers, or other rims with equal sink-estate cache. Circa 2005, it'd look like a 'Battle of Billing' casualty.

I have my self-respect. My advice, live with it forever looking shonky, or spend the extra and do it right.

No shonk.png

Edited by Landrover17H

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Zeus mad white brakes for the old London taxis.  They have quite a large market, so I don’t think it’s likely they’ll go out of business, but if you’re worried, you could always buy a spare set of discs now, and any time top you have to fit them, immediately order a replacement set to keep one step ahead.

Thats what i was thinking of doing getting a set of disc's in, pads are probably more easier to find but if not get some pads in as well from Zeus.