Zeus front brake conversion

Cornish Rattler

22 minutes ago, Landrover17H said:

I've Heystee discs here, one of the early kits. Ex-Santana PS10/ Cadorola. These running with stock rims. I was lucky enough to find a set of proper deep steels. Not for me, Zues kits, require a set of w*nkers, or other rims with equal sink-estate cache. Circa 2005, it'd look like a 'Battle of Billing' casualty.

I have my self-respect. My advice, live with it forever looking shonky, or spend the extra and do it right.

No shonk.png

Nice truck 👍

3 minutes ago, Landrover17H said:

That things a real bitza, Santana bulkhead, left-hooker wings, I could bore you. Thanks 66, an old pic... but there's no 'Truck' here, I'm a Brit and proud.

I was going to call it a bus....😂

1 minute ago, Anderzander said:

First recorded use in English was 1611 apparently - the first use in print in its modern sense of “wheeled vehicle used for transporting heavy items” came in 1774.

This forum is a mine of useful information 😂

• Haha 1

Clearly, you didn't have my English teacher! I confess, I don't know the etymology for  'fork-lift truck etc' I've not looked it up, but I suspect it's American.

Here, it's 'lorry'. I notice the steady creep of "Truck' in the context of something that is either an HGV or a lighter vehicle. Seems to get used in much the same way as our local council now has a: 'Fire Dept'. Whereas, ten years back, we used to call the 'Fire Brigade', or more affectionately,  'Trumpton'.  The generation that bought one new, would not have called a 109 a 'truck'. Along with the cult of 'like', and the fact this very site constantly 'corrects' my spellings, to 'realize'  I do realise this is a battle that can't be won, dare I 'like' say, 'like' I've already lost... 'like'.

But this is England for chissakes.

'Like'

Edited by Landrover17H

I'm sure there won't be much wrong with the kits, it's more that Land rovers are  one of those vehicles where there's little room for shonk, the problem is where the Zues kit leads. A Zues kit forces use of the ration in one sitting. Once on the slippery slope, you're found with a 'truck', and very quickly.

Edited by Landrover17H

So true, one minute it's modular rims, next it's a radio, where will it end?

Fitting engines from the coil sprung vehicles? The end of times.

• Haha 1

Zeus also make the kit for the 101 - interestingly the 101 6.5" 101 rims fit straight over and the basic kit looks basically the same as the series kit.  On the 101 kit the disk is bolted to its hub (cannot see on the series disks) and cracks developed at these bolt points.

Zeus has these bolts very tight and with sudden cooling when hot radiating cracks develop out from the bolts.  Simple solution is to undo them and retorque at a lower torque with lots of threadlocker.

The other issue with these kits is that they are not ventilated and possible issues with replacement - we have kits in Aust that use modified Disco 3 rear disks with defender calipers.

disk brake3_LI.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting!

The series kit has the disk ON the hub, and sometimes requires longer studs. Simpler to  fit, but probably moves the caliper outboard.

I still think a sliding caliper is the better solution.

I note they still cover the filler hole.

Why can't they clock the caliper?

IMG_20190427_181441.jpg

9 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Interesting!

The series kit has the disk ON the hub, and sometimes requires longer studs. Simpler to  fit, but probably moves the caliper outboard.

I still think a sliding caliper is the better solution.

I note they still cover the filler hole.

Why can't they clock the caliper?

IMG_20190427_181441.jpg

If the bolt spacing is equal why can’t you rotate the bracket upwards? Does it clash with something else?

Simply: I don't feel qualified to try it. I'm a bit conservative with brakes.

Just because I can't see a problem, doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

24 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Simply: I don't feel qualified to try it. I'm a bit conservative with brakes.

Just because I can't see a problem, doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Could be worth asking Zeus I suppose? Quite annoying that the filler is blocked. 

I'm happy enough, they supply an Allen key bung, which works after a fashion.

But the solution, for the stage bigj66 is at, is simply swap the swivel housings from side to side.

59 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

If the bolt spacing is equal why can’t you rotate the bracket upwards? Does it clash with something else?

The only issue that could crop up is bleeding the callipers, but as long as you have the bleed nipple uppermost, there shouldn’t be any problem.  Mechanically, the forces are the same on the discs, hubs, stub axles and swivels wherever the calliper is sited.