Windscreen

Got new windscreen and rubber coming at weekend.
Watched all the Vids and Guides on how to fit myself, does look quite easy :eek:. So might just have a go, Anyone done this ? is it easy , or should I get someone else to do it ?

•  

24 minutes ago, ballcock said:

It's not difficult but a hand would be useful to apply gentle pressure to keep it in place. I used two clamps and some wood by myself. Just make sure you have the rubber seal the right way around.

I know was trying to practice today with old seal but I had cut it out so not much good, Im sure Ill figure out which way it goes.

I did mine with a mate. One person outside putting gentle pressure on and one inside pulling the string round. Was easier to fit than the rear quarter windows. Hope you bought a heated one! 😁 

3 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

I did mine with a mate. One person outside putting gentle pressure on and one inside pulling the string round. Was easier to fit than the rear quarter windows. Hope you bought a heated one! 😁 

No Mate just a normal one, if it was heated would definitely of got professional to fit it.  

Will take my time with this and if I get stressed and think its going to break will stop and get someone in.

• Like 1

Shackleton on here had a great vid on the windscreen for his RR rebuild, OK its not a Defender but the profile is similar, I seem to think the pro guy  who helped him used a job specific filler/mastic to guarantee it was water proof.

@miketomcat helped me did mine when I replaced it with a heated one.

He made a comment that although not difficult he was grateful he had someone who'd done one before helping him the first time and I can resonate that comment. I'd be happy doing another one now but it was nice having someone who'd done one before helping out the first time.

Just take your time and don't get frustrated. Having said that we completely smashed my old one to pieces, Mike was incredibly grateful I broke it first because then we didn't care. Did say he'd never come across one so brittle before - mind you it was original I think.

If you can do it in a warm workshop, it should make the glass less brittle as well as the seal more malleable.  Don’t underestimate the effect of a few degrees.  If you can’t get workshop access, pick a warm day - at least you’re doing it in summer.

I’ve just dropped the bottle on fitting a heated screen and went to a fitting place near Chertsey, I was told it was at my own risk & needless to say the inevitable happened and it split top to bottom it wasn’t the fitters fault as I was stood by him as it went , I had the firm supply and fit a Pilkington one as the one I had bought online was a cheaper version they did the job for £20 cheaper than I bought the one on line . I didn’t have it fitted in the Landy but in another frame so they were doing the job on a trestle, no marks to the edge of the screen or damage , I suppose it’s a case of sh*t really does happen it just really hurts paying double the price  😢

Pick

Picked windscreen and rubber up today.  Had a quick look and I can not for the Life of me see which bit  or even which way the screen actually fits in to rubber before putting string in.

It is very stiff / rigid with been new . Should I soak it in the soapy water an hour or so before I start fitting or can soak it first then fit when Im ready ??

Soapy warm water is best. Can stay in there as long as you want but best if the bucket is kept warm. @miketomcat kept it in a bucket of hot water whilst we were removing the old windscreen so that it had time to supple up. Ironically after asking a local garage they recommended Britpart seals as they'd found them the nicest to fit.

Don't bother wasting your time trying to remove the old rubber - just run a sharp knife around flush to the outside of the screen, you can then push from the inside without having to force it past the lip.

• Like 1

The defender rubber doesn't lend itself to using sealant and if it's all clean shouldn't need it. You could put a small amount in the bottom of the glass channel and in the corner of the screen recess on the body but both may hinder fitting. On my screen (not defender and a different shape rubber) I used arbomast windscreen sealant (the screen version is black, normally it's grey).

Below is a bad sketch of the the rubber cross section.

15949643544086583979528384802883.thumb.jpg.bb0a52b76cadeeecdb9e87e263cc93a4.jpg

Mike

• Like 1

Would not recommend sealant as it will likely just get everywhere and make a real mess as well as cause issues on fitting. New genuine seal and Pilkington glass with thorough clean of body before fitting - no leaks - at least on the window anyway 😀

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Good info there mate Thanks, what roughly was  size /diameter of the string you used.?

approx 6mm

17 hours ago, kevin50 said:

Pick

Picked windscreen and rubber up today.  Had a quick look and I can not for the Life of me see which bit  or even which way the screen actually fits in to rubber before putting string in.

It is very stiff / rigid with been new . Should I soak it in the soapy water an hour or so before I start fitting or can soak it first then fit when Im ready ??

As miketomcat has drawn.......Someone else had the same issue (and me) trying to work this out. There's a thitd lip that a filler and doesn't go around the window or frame.

Steve