Windscreen

I am just about to do this myself, my frame is off the car so thought it would be easier to get access. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't just get someone else to do it, a quick google revealed a mobile fitter with a fairly good reputation just a few streets away but he's left out the "how much" aspect of his response....

1 hour ago, ThreePointFive said:

I am just about to do this myself, my frame is off the car so thought it would be easier to get access. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't just get someone else to do it, a quick google revealed a mobile fitter with a fairly good reputation just a few streets away but he's left out the "how much" aspect of his response....

Wished I  lived a few streets from you, think I would get him to do it.

Right still cant get jhow the screen fits in to the Rubber First before it is placed on to car.

Took these pics, The only 2 slots I can see on one side in first pic, where I think the screen should go, the one i have a hold of is deeper and flat , the other has curve on it,  other side just has grooves , but dont hold the glass in place.IMG_20200717_181103.thumb.jpg.acc2f1ce597cc7ca2d82faa9f65949fe.jpgIMG_20200717_172622.thumb.jpg.ee35982351e2b8ad5126d79157492d5a.jpg

Edited by kevin50

19 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Just what I thought but the fitters that eventually did mine said it was more of a pain in the ar** out of the vehicle 

9 hours ago, HampshireHog said:

Just what I thought but the fitters that eventually did mine said it was more of a pain in the ar** out of the vehicle 

Great... I did think that might be the case as you can't apply pressure from the other side.

All the more reason to get a professional to do it I guess.

18 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Great... I did think that might be the case as you can't apply pressure from the other side.

All the more reason to get a professional to do it I guess.

My thought process went along the lines of , 35 years ago I did a couple of screens in a mini and a cortina I think and they weren’t difficult I hadn’t factored in age , memory being coloured a rosey tint and arthritis . 🤨

On 7/15/2020 at 8:02 AM, Maverik said:

Fitted a few now using the rope method myself, soak the seal in some hot water to soften it up, then using lost of soap, get the seal on the window and start working the rope and seal onto the frame.

here's a seconder for the warming it up in a tub of hot water, with fairy liquid as the lubricant (or KY Jelly  its been rumored !)  I can say that the alpine lights really benefit from the hot water - stops the gaps where they meet end to end. (I learned the hard way)

• 5 weeks later...

I am losing my mind. Could someone please explain to me Why there are three lips on these seals? Am I being stupid? I can only get the rubber onto the screen with in one of the lips. But I can’t get my head around the rest. 

I cut the outer lip of my old rubber to remove the glass so cannot compare. Can anyone verify from the images below if I am on the correct lines?

F5390272-7811-4603-9D8D-C23EC45A06F8.jpeg

4DADD729-4655-4063-9251-7CA4C2FEE362.jpeg

0E76854F-7F4B-432D-AB00-367621AF5312.jpeg

AB35F735-3473-42B0-9C70-876FB31D1A70.jpeg