Exhaust Ventilation/Extraction

For a couple of reasons, I am having to tune the car inside the garage but even with the exhaust next to the door it's getting fumes inside (as you would expect). I looked into extraction systems but they start at £500 just for the high temp pipe, and that's without any of the fans etc. I know those are designed to sit with cars running for hours at a time and keep air quality within legal limits.

I was thinking of using a short length of pipe to run the 2-3 feet to clear the door and then put some brackets up the garage wall to run it vertically away, I wouldn't expect 100% effectiveness but surely that would improve things.

Has anyone else looked into exhaust ventilation for their home workshop, and are there any alternatives that could meet requirements? I would prefer something non-melty.

Mate and I rigged up an old bouncy castle blower with some drain pipe for fiddling with the Microsquirt on his kitcar. That was pretty effective. It was hours of use before we melted the first ~6" of the flexible hose. We had the blower by the door, pulling through so it would have cooled a bit before it got to the fan.

I've used normal PVC wire reinforced hose (think it was 3" ) with rags rapped around the tail pipe when dealling with fumeing motors in the shop.... and it would have been 8 -10m worth to get it out the door..... But I've only ever run em for half n hr max and I'm not running with a load so less heat.... tuneing timing, injector issues or cooling 
And I've had no issues with the pipe melting.... I have blown the pipe off a few times tho lol 

The local dyno just runs a pair of fans (ordinary workshop fans), 1 infront of the radiator and the other with under the roller door with it shut to just above the fan... the dyno is about 2-3m in from the door, but I think they have a side door open as well to create a draught

Wen I worked at Sunblest years   Our workshop was for three diesel vans. Thetr was a proper under floor extraction setup with a thick heavy rubber pipe for each bay. However there was also roof fands which also extracted the fumes and much easier to use. Those roof fans came into their own on a very hot day. We would water the parking bay outside open the doos and switch the fans on for a cool workshop

• Like 1

I used semi flexible aluminium duct when running my build in the garage, this seem to work well, I seem to remember I picked up a 2m length in B&Q but can only find shorter versions there.

Just stuck it out the door and crushed the end a bit to get a better seal.

So here is a link to a longer version https://www.ducting-express.co.uk/product/flexible-ducting/semiflex/semi-flex-3m-length-80mm-diameter

Though you have to be careful it does crush easily and not good for sharp bends.

Edited by zardos

Used to have a length of the sort of thick rubber piping that connects fuel fillers to the tank, and just stick it out of the door. No issue with half an hours running, Ok it might get a bit warm but you could still handle it. Maybe the V8s need something more industrial....

Some good ideas, think I'm going to try some of that aluminium piping as Zardos says, on account of it being unlikely to melt and being very little cost if it fails.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:36 AM, mmgemini said:

Wen I worked at Sunblest years   Our workshop was for three diesel vans. Thetr was a proper under floor extraction setup with a thick heavy rubber pipe for each bay. However there was also roof fands which also extracted the fumes and much easier to use. Those roof fans came into their own on a very hot day. We would water the parking bay outside open the doos and switch the fans on for a cool workshop

Sounds like a good setup, should be about £10ks worth going by the examples following that recipe... I'm looking more at the £10 mark.

Ah sorry that was £2.26 over budget 😁

Found it at Wickes in 100mm and cheaper and in budget https://www.wickes.co.uk/Manrose-Aluminium-Duct---100mm-x-3m/p/167627

I measured mine and it was 100mm

The website of original link also has a stronger version and can handle a higher temp but at a much higher prices (but not as high a price as their rubber exhaust tubing).

Edited by zardos