DVLA charge

Paul Wightman

Have to tax the 90 this month -

With the quality and professionalisim displayed in all my dealings with DVLA I shall be at the post office swapping the money for the new disc,

I wouldn't trust that lot to lick the stamp for the envelope - if the envelope ever got that far before the chase phonbe calls had to start.

Nige :unsure:

I live 100m from a post office

Do they sell TAX discs

NO :angry2:

I have to drive into Eastleigh and que at the post office and listen to mindless chich chat while being grumpy for having to pay £1 to park for the 15mins it going to take to get the new tax disc.

Got to Love um

I wouldn't trust that lot to lick the stamp for the envelope - if the envelope ever got that far before the chase phonbe calls had to start.

You'd be surpised Nige, It's a very efficent service, i've used it a few times now, and the tax disk is always here within a couple of days. It's a lot easier and you don't have to dig out any paperwork :D

You'd be surpised Nige, It's a very efficent service, i've used it a few times now, and the tax disk is always here within a couple of days. It's a lot easier and you don't have to dig out any paperwork :D

I see a 3 page HFH moment coming on :lol:

Actually....I must confess I was quite impressed when I taxed mine online. Didn't take long , didn't need to get out of my seat and didn't have to put up with the old dears chat about the weather in the post office whilst they insist on writing out a cheque for £2.37 to send a letter to her grandson who is working for shell out in Dubai don't you know.... :)

I think the £2.50 charge only relates to payments by credit card

If you pay by debit card there is no additional charge. I cannot fathom why there is the extra as the system seems to be much the same - I can only assume that the payee is charged more by the card companies for credit card transactions than for ones by debit card.

I have taxed several vehicles online now and it is so much easier. The central Post Office in Swindon is a nightmare - I have never queued for less than 10 minutes in there. :rolleyes:

There is only an extra charge for credit cards, not for debit cards. I have used the service a couple of times and it is great. Tax disc takes about 3 days.

You know you can buy online, in the post, at a post office AND at a DVLA office? All those options and some people still bleat about it. Hell, if the DVLA sent one out free by messenger some people would still find something to grizzle about - granted, those people may not be members of this forum... :)

Chris

Crossed in the post Gordon. :)

I can only assume that the payee is charged more by the card companies for credit card transactions than for ones by debit card

Correct, often a percentage charge rather than a flat rate charge on a debit card.

I do tend to agree that the DVLA is generally hopeless.

I have had a running battle with them regarding changing the Taxation class of the Triumph Stag from PLG to Historic. At first they would not even accept a Heritage Certificate from Gaydon confirming the date of build as November 1972, due to the fact that the date the vehicle was despatched from the factory was January 1973!

I have done what they wanted regarding retaxing the vehicle at the Local Vehicle Licensing Office and I now have a tax disc showing the taxation class as 'Historic' and the fee as 'nil'. I thought I was home and dry, and that I would receive a new V5 through in due course.

No such luck. A couple of days ago, I had yet another letter from the DVLA saying that they still cannot issue a new V5 until I have relicensed the vehicle (which I have done) and that I then need to send a new application for a V5 off to them, with the serial number of the new tax disc. :angry::angry::angry:

The card processing companies charge the merchant (DVLA) a flat fee for DEBT cards (with their turnover would guess a penny or so) with a CREDIT card its a percentage (around 1% :unsure: ) hence where the £ 2.50 comes from

The online system throws a wobbly if your MOT or insurance are due aound the same time as the VED as it does not have current information.

So when you buy a car with 12 months VED and MOT and then start a new insurance policy you can NEVER use the online system :ph34r:

It works fine with the other 4 vehicles we own though.