Would you be interested in the Station Wagon, Pickup or even a SWB Grenadier?

Would you be interested in the Station Wagon, Pickup or even a SWB Grenadier?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What body style would appeal to you?

• LWB Station Wagon as seen so far
    • Double cab pickup (as seen in renderings)
    • SWB station wagon (not mentioned as of yet)

To me, the thing that matters most is what taxation-class it falls into.

'Cars' worth over £40K get stung with swingeing VED for the first few years; they're also subject to CO2-emissions-based VED thereafter.

Vans/Commercials don't get hit by the first-years luxury-tax and pay a fixed VED irrespective of the CO2 emissions.

This can make a difference of at least £4K to the running-costs in the first four years!

• Like 3

I would love one but for what I used my defender for mud , tipping trailers moving cars , going fishing. Ect . I could not afford 40 k for a car . My 30 year old 90 does fine but I would not say no to one for free.

I'd like a modern 110SW, so the currently announced vehicle would do me, but the taxation class would be of interest. In my ideal world, I'd like it to be a commercial vehicle, so the VED is calculated differently. I can live with any speed restrictions; I have little sports cars if I want to go fast. 

• 1 month later...

If I was to buy it'd be a 109/110 SW, but I won't be buying any. Which rather brings me round to my point. I wonder who will buy the  things... it won't be trad-LR owners like myself,  or those running the bulk of coilers now.  It won't enter the 'pram' market on price or spec.  Yet it seems  they're making a vehicle for me - simple, or simpler anyway.

Modern 4x4 are sold in the mum-wagon mode.  If you really want a 4x4 mum-wagon, 'come-shopping-trolley', the market's full of them.  Commercial users are catered for by a heap of cheaper Jap alternatives.

I can't see the wallet-chavtastic running these either. They take one of LR's prams and spatter it with shonk.

The market for new 4x4 divides as:

1) Commercial user running Jap offerings

2) Prams at varying price points.

3) Wallet-chavs looking for  drug-dealer cool?

Who's left?

The Grenadier is akin to the Santana PS10, in that it was a 109/110 look-a-like. The PS10 didn't sell, yet in some ways it was a better vehicle.

Trad. owners will tell you LR should  stay  1968 simple, but that doesn't sell vehicles. The bloke that 'says' he wants it fix-at-the-side-of-the-road-rugged is a blow-hard, and  isn't going to buy a 'Grenny' anyway. 

Forget which body-shape; the real question is, how many here, will actually buy one?

PS10.jpg

Edited by Landrover17H

30 minutes ago, Landrover17H said:

'Grenny'

Please tell me that's not what the kids are calling these.

To your last question, certainly not me. I probably could be in the market for a base spec utility vehicle at £20k, but that makes me the Defender buyer of 2000-2007. Those days are gone.

I wouldn't even consider one now thanks to the decision to build outside the UK. I know that doesn't make sense to some people, but to me it's like making it 2wd.

• Like 1

Please tell me that's not the accepted name for these.

Can't tell you I like 'Landy' either. Usually written 'landy' to put emphasis on the laziness, but there it is.

I wouldn't even consider one now.... a base spec utility vehicle at £20k, but that makes me the Defender buyer of 2000-2007. Those days are gone.

My point entirely, and you didn't buy an Defender  then, and nor did I. This new Grenadier (Grenny?) is just another 4x4. This one priced as a pram; spec'ed for commercial users, it won't be the likes of us to buy it either, so who?

Edited by Landrover17H

I would have bought a Defender if I’d had the means to do so while they were in production. And I’d buy a Grenadier if they turn out to be good and once the company has established itself. The commercial variant would be a good option in terms of running costs but best not bought new if using as a private vehicle so someone else can take the hit on the VAT if appropriate.

Realistically though they’ll struggle to take any of the commercial 4x4 market away from the pickups which dominate.

• Like 1

IF I ever find myself in the financial position to do so I would buy one. But the money for a 'Grenni' would buy a couple PS110's, a nice V8 Disco and a decent Mk4 Hi-Lux Crew cab, with change for a decent family holiday in Australia

Buying new vehicles is something of an anathema to me. Seems so much for nothing