Would you be interested in the Station Wagon, Pickup or even a SWB Grenadier?

Would you be interested in the Station Wagon, Pickup or even a SWB Grenadier?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What body style would appeal to you?

• LWB Station Wagon as seen so far
    • Double cab pickup (as seen in renderings)
    • SWB station wagon (not mentioned as of yet)

I had it that the 'Grenadiers' were purely a regiment within the British Army, but wasn't sure. There's a bit more to it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenadier

Anyways, a great name for a vehicle, so much so, I'm not sure why it hasn't been trademarked before. Thus the supermarket own-brand is set to be the Fusilier?

Edited by Landrover17H

I would very seriously consider this if I was in the market for a new vehicle, though moving production out of the UK has severely soured the deal for me.  And though I don’t entirely dispute what you’re saying, 17H, I am the “fix it by the roadside type and did buy my wife a very low mileage Defender through LR, unable to buy new at the time, and have subsequently bought a brand new vehicle.  The categories aren’t mutually exclusive.

• Like 2

Sitting here in SE England there's a fee-paying school near me surrounded by the leafier lanes of this fair isle. It's part of the uniform, come turning-in and turning-out times, all you'll see is line-upon-line of Range Rooneys with spatterings of Merc's own RR equivalent, and the odd Discovery. I see the queue every morning and afternoon, and I'll concede, there's one 110, but not a Jap offering in sight. When the Grenadier comes to market, I'd make a large bet not one  makes that queue. It just won't happen, the badge is wrong for a start. I do wonder, but you get the picture... that is today's 4x4 buyer.

There's a state-school about a mile on, it differs slightly. Here you'll see rather more aspirational choices. The standard crop of Jap MPV's, most in the obligatory housing-estate white; the women are larger, the vehicles smaller, and there's no more surprises. Whilst there's greater chance, I can't truly see a Grenadier being a better fit there either.

The Grenadier generates interest in this parish because it's pitched closest to our beloved 88/90/109/110. It's aiming for what we say we'd like to buy. There's a big but...  is that the same as actually buying? With Snagger et al perhaps the greater exception,  what people say they want, and what their wallet says are two very different things.

The 4x4 market has moved on. To be truly successful, the Grenadier is forced to deliver pram-appeal, and in that market or any other, I just can't see where it fits in great number.

Edited by Landrover17H

But you’re assuming the main market for Ineos is the SUV household buyer.  It’s not - it’s pitched for commercial use, the emergency services, and perhaps, in time, the military users.  Private users will happen, but not in vast numbers and they know it.  Those will tend to be people overlanding, but not horse or boat owners who’ll stick to their Rrs and Discoverys.  I’d be surprised if Ineos don’t know that.  They’re not aiming to compete directly with the Porsche, Merc, BMW or even LR offerings, but Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi and so on.

I take your point, back in the day the utilities, construction companies, military and emergency services took the bulk to 109/110s. I don't know who was buying the Santana PS10, seems to have sold to those that shy of the pennies would have bought the LR original. There was no PS10 take-up from the utilities etc, which with it being a Defender but cheaper, surprises a little. But then if you're a fleet-manager, even if they turn bad, you'll not face the firing-line for buying LR product.

I would have a couple for the company but only if they do as they say on the tin. We run double-cab hiluxes just now which have enough room for 4 people comfortably and, with the truckman canopy, offer plenty of storage for kit. A new Hilux with canopy and kit is about £34k so the prices people are suggesting on here aren't a million miles away. Strict capital value isn't even what we look at when buying new as, like most folks these days, we go down the PCP route to preserve cash flow. PCP monthlies are determined by the gauranteed future value and it'll be interesting to see what the finance companies make of the Grenadier in that regard. It might well be that they're cheaper on the monthly payments than vehicles with a lower capital cost.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...