Thoughts on how and were Ineos will sell the Grenadier

I've not seen anything mentioned by Ineos or the press in relation to this. But for me, this would seem quite a critical part of the puzzle in making the vehicle a success.

• Where do you go to buy one?
  • And how would it be serviced & maintained under warranty?

I'm not sure how they are going to do this. Will it be online sales and delivery? Tesla seem to be making this work, although I don't really know the success of this kind of setup. I guess for 'fleet' buyers or even larger commercial buyers, they are less fussed about test drives anyway. And probably already buy multiple vehicles without ever seeing them.

Will the team up with BMW somehow?

Your thoughts on this?

It remains an interesting and as yet unresolved part of the puzzle. We also haven't seen an actual vehicle yet, but I can suspend disbelief for the purposes of theoretical discussion.

I have a medium-sized fleet of commercial vehicles at work and we buy them direct from the manufacturers as you can imagine, they are delivered straight to our workshops where they are maintained & serviced by us and only really go back for recalls or similar. As such a local dealer network is inconsequential - especially in the highlands as the local dealers are all 100+ miles away anyway.

Smaller operators or singe commercial customers such as the much-lauded farmer market will rely a lot more on the local network. I can't ever see them having their own premises as the investment required would be vast, so I reckon they will piggy-back off someone else yes. BMW are a good shout as they have an existing relationship and crucially they don't offer a vehicle which the Grenadier could be seen to be competing with. Whether they would be happy with rough working folk muddying up their nice showrooms and scaring off the "financed to the hilt to keep up with the Jones's" brigade... who knows?

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

I think Mercedes is much more likely. And they don't care about grubby people coming into the commercial side of the dealerships.

It has BMW engines in them, not sure how this would go down! :)

I'd say that it would make more sense for Ineos to partner with one of the large agricultural/industrial-machinery manufacturers so they can piggy-back on an existing service/support-network that already understands the needs of commercial customers.

John Deere? Cat? JCB? They've all got the sort of global reach and established infrastructure needed.

27 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

It has BMW engines in them, not sure how this would go down! :)

Yeah, that's strange. But also a fairly good marketing connection with Mercedes now they're sponsoring the F1 team (and the drivers were publicising the launch).

1 minute ago, Tanuki said:

I'd say that it would make more sense for Ineos to partner with one of the large agricultural/industrial-machinery manufacturers so they can piggy-back on an existing service/support-network that already understands the needs of commercial customers.

John Deere? Cat? JCB? They've all got the sort of global reach and established infrastructure needed.

This is something I've thought of before. And I believe has been done with things like the Lada Niva, but not sure if it would be a somewhat negative tone for regular punters who aren't in farming. Also I'm not certain how comprehensive these networks are, seems there are a lot of Ag places and a lot of different companies.

1 minute ago, elbekko said:

Yeah, that's strange. But also a fairly good marketing connection with Mercedes now they're sponsoring the F1 team (and the drivers were publicising the launch).

Yeah, than you have this:

https://www.ineos.com/businesses/ineos-automotive/news/mbtech-engineering-partner/

It is like they are tying themselves up in knots a bit :)

I'm hoping they go down the agricultural route as I live in Melton Mowbray and there are a lot of sheep and cows here! Other than warranty work I don't much care, I am comfortable about avoiding dealers wherever possible.

This is supposed to be a utility vehicle, so shiny showrooms and expensive coffee should not be necessary. (Although the price tags on big tractors and combines would make even a MB dealer blush).

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 7:19 AM, elbekko said:

I think Mercedes is much more likely. And they don't care about grubby people coming into the commercial side of the dealerships.

Mercedes has zero to do with this project....and specifically declined to supply the powertrain.

90% chance it is sold and serviced via the BMW network.

https://www.ineos.com/businesses/ineos-automotive/news/mbtech-engineering-partner/ back a while ago, 15/02/2018 - "engineering partner"

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ineos-partners-major-engineering-firm-grenadier-development, 17/12/2019 - "development partner"

I'd guess that MBtech developed the concept and built the original mules. I expect that Magna Styer have to productionise the resultant pile of bolts and subassemblies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 3:50 PM, elbekko said:

When I went through the F1 Ineos links it shows them promoting PPE not cars?

The chap in the video I posted in the ‘wrong engine thread’  suspects they may have sales and support agreements with BMW, citing the engine connection and the fact that BMW doesn’t have any full on 4x4’s to give a conflict of interests.

If that came to pass - I wonder if it may be done as the mini is - as a kind of affiliated product sold out of a different showroom. 

I did wonder about Mercedes early on - but that was before I realised that MB and Steyr work with lots of brands besides Mercedes, and before they had picked the BMW engine.

9 hours ago, Anderzander said:

.........and the fact that BMW doesn’t have any full on 4x4’s to give a conflict of interests.

I chuckled when I saw that as the usual vehicle we fish out of Watery Gate or Slash Lane in Leicestershire is a BMW X5 driven by a numpty, (L&R4x4Response trustee and controller).

That vehicle seems to have been designed to be drowned in a cup of water. Let's hope that they design a decent induction system for it, or it will fail at the first puddle.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...