Locking Diff options

Anderzander

This is thinking ahead - and (I confess) maybe daydreaming a bit inspired by the video of those old small wheeled jeeps in Moab with lockers ...

I’ve been wondering about options for my 80” - I’m running Rover P4 4.3’s in it, and I’ve already had one fall to bits.

It would be nice to get some nice diffs built up - and it would be lovely to have an Ashcroft ATB in there (front and back) - but I think they are only available in 24 spline favour....

Well I wouldn’t want to try changing the tracta joints ... So that would mean I could use the Ashcroft rear series shaft conversion  to have one in the back - but that led me to think ‘would I mind air and lockers’:

I guess I could have some old 10 spline arbs built into front and rear diffs - or mix and match - with a 10 spline in the front and the Ashcroft 24 spline shafts in the rear with say an Ash locker in the rear ...

Im gentle with the throttle, have small wheels, so it’s not out and out strength I’m thinking of - it’s just traction ...

What would anyone else do ? Any opinions, thoughts or wisdom welcomed.

I fitted ARB 10 spline air lockers to my series 3 lightweight about 25 years ago been good reliable kit the additional traction is fantastic mine may come up for sale once portal project done as if all good shouldn't need them but that will be a wee while yet regards Stephen

10 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

I fitted ARB 10 spline air lockers to my series 3 lightweight about 25 years ago been good reliable kit the additional traction is fantastic mine may come up for sale once portal project done as if all good shouldn't need them but that will be a wee while yet regards Stephen

I might drop you a pm about that please...

10 minutes ago, Maverik said:

Hmmmm atb's...... 

Should look at Xcess differentials or give them (Nige) a ring, they get all sorts of interesting stuff in the pre loved section.

I did think of speaking to Nige - but as it’s realistically a while before I’d be spending money .. I don’t want to take up his time.

2 minutes ago, Red90 said:

You can get Truetracs in 10 spline.  MUCH cheaper than Quaife.

910A400 rear, 910A416  front.

That's what I went for, got them cheap as someone was upgrading to 24 spline.

With EN26 shafts and pegged diffs, with a mildly tuned 4 cylinder, series box, on 7.50 tyres, they should be more than adequate.

I might need them in the mountains.....

On 7/29/2020 at 12:33 AM, oneandtwo said:

I’ve just treated my Lightweight to a ten spline Quaife ATB for the rear axle; not yet fitted it though as need crown wheel spacer

Ashcroft make the spacer rings, and they’re pretty cheap.  Should be the right size as all aftermarket diff manufacturers would have to make their units to match the Rover dimensions.

26 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Ashcroft make the spacer rings, and they’re pretty cheap.  Should be the right size as all aftermarket diff manufacturers would have to make their units to match the Rover dimensions.

Yep, just not got round to ordering one yet along with new diff bearings and bolts. I have an Ashcroft ATB in rear of my 90 and is excellent on sand so thought I’d bung one in the Lightweight too.

Edited by oneandtwo
  • Like 1

I was thinking... but I didn’t because I sold the rangy KAM axel complete... that my 88 is 40hp and I could take later half shafts, cut them down and hand grind the six hub splines on. Which is a bit cruel, but they take a V8 for most silliness, so I figured I could take some extreme liberties :)