110 tub to 90

I have a 1984 Land Rover 90 parts car that could be built into a 90 beach runner. I have a lot of spares and after a rear cross member repair, it looks really do-able. However, I need a rear tub. 

I can get a 110 tub from a two door relatively cheaply. Has anyone ever cut one down to fit a 90?

I have seen the video of Mark Evans fabbing the tub for his 100", and if a 90 tub was available in good shape I would go that way, but a 110 tub is all that seems to be available on this side of the Atlantic.

Any thoughts?

I haven't done it but I can't see why not.

You need to cut the cappings and relocate the fuel filler.

The only real problem I can think of is if the 110 body is longer behind the wheel arch. You may need to be creative with rear cross member location. That may cause knock on problems with the roof if you are thinking of a solid one.

HTH

Mo

Another way could be either acquiring a Hi-cap truck cab lower rear section or chopping your 110 tub off  .

Then you can tray back or what ever takes your fancy ?

The 110 is longer from the rear wheel centre to the rear face of the tub as Mo says .

Could be an interesting project either way you go . Keep us posted 

cheers

Steve b

I seem to remember reading somebody who'd done just that.

Involved cutting both front & rear using the wheearch as the reference point

Not easy - but should be doable.

Interesting project

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments and encouragement. Any pictures of these shortened tubs would be appreciated. I picked up the tub yesterday along with a new tailgate.  

The 90 needs a new rear cross member. I wonder if a td5 cross member would work and then I could change the fuel tank location and use the tub's filler cut out. 

Or... replace the rear part of the frame and keep a bit of length to cheat it up to a 100"? Would need a new driveshaft...

Cheers 

C20200816_180247.thumb.jpg.df07e543dfb00ededaac0e3ff5bd4839.jpg

20200816_180235.jpg