Swiftnick

Protecting our identity

Now that there is another ugh...."Defender" out there, who like me, wants to be as far away as we can be to this vehicle that should not in my opinion be called a 'Defender'?  Aside from its alleged off road ability, it shares nothing else with the one and only Defender that many of us know and love. 

So, I want to get a decal that states something like "The One and Only" or "The Proper One".  Does anybody know if these are being printed?  

Should I ever need another one, it looks like I will be heading Ineos's way as the new Grenadier looks like the business  and it is being built in the UK (Well done Sir Jim Ratcliffe).....What makes me so angry, is that Land Rover could have done this if they were still run by engineers (and not fancy pants accountants).....after all, it looks like a beefed up, updated and better built 110.  And it meets all the required regulations.  It would not have cost anything like the millions that went into the development that has gone into the 'tarts handbag' they have just created.  BIG MISTAKE Land Rover, BIG MISTAKE.  

4 minutes ago, Swiftnick said:

So, I want to get a decal that states something like "The One and Only" or "The Proper One".  

To stick on a Series 1 ?

• Haha 1

Surely real Land Rovers don't need any identity labels? They stand out from all other vehicles anyway 😊

Welcome to the forum btw 

Steve

• Like 3

The Mini community went through the exact same thing and seemed to survive without the need to change how the originals were identified. Much in the same way with the Defenders, they are so visually distinct that there is no need for stickers or clever/passive aggressive slogans. 

And just as there was with the Mini, there will be a couple of years of grumbling before people accept they coexist, then prices become affordable and 'original' owners eventually buy them as a sensible daily driver. Then the original becomes a weekend/special occasion car as they get older, requiring higher maintenance while parts become more expensive or difficult to obtain.

And I know, it's impossible, it'll never be accepted, it's too far from the original and lacks all of the character and misses the point, you'll never buy one.... exactly the conversation I had with a Mini owning friend, who now owns both. It happens in most "communities" where there is an original vehicle and a modern interpretation still in production. 

• Like 2

I agree with the opening post. These modern coil sprung things aren't proper Landrover vehicles. Just a poor mans range rover, if you ask me, wearing Landrover clothes. Leaf springs all the way, millennia of product development.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you want to go an play identity politics, naff off to faceache.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Gazzar said it!

Carpets are for ponces too.

Yes, slippery slope, next thing they'll be fitting wind up windows, and other flippantries. Where will it end, I ask you? No vent flaps?

Might as well do away with the galv cappings on the doors. Pah.

OK that's enough from you Series boys, it doesn't matter what LR vehicle you have, its one big family, just accept the New Defender for what it is, we knew it would not be a updated version of the original but a complete new vehicle to conform to all the current & forseeable legal & environment requirements for every market. 

Edited by western

Sorry. I'd not turn one down if offered it, but would prefer a 101!

The problem for us "budget" defender owners is would we actually be able to afford one of the super hi-tech jobbies? Let's face, I doubt it will be it's ability off road that will let it down, but the cost to keep the electrickery going will be beyond my wallet!

5 hours ago, western said:

OK that's enough from you Series boys, it doesn't matter what LR vehicle you have, its one big family, just except the New Defender for what it is, we knew it would not be a updated version of the original but a complete new vehicle to conform to all the current & forseeable legal & environment requirements for every market. 

Is that a freudian slip there, Ralph ?

Mo 😁

• Confused 1