How not to depolute your car.

Simon_CSK

6 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Eeek, glad everyone's safe!

Thanks

Just now, Escape said:

Must have been a proper scare! Glad you're OK!

It is amazing how quickly it can go wrong.

When working on the fuel system please all be very careful. We all know petrol is volatile but you don't realise how much so until something like this happens. 

I was very lucky, I had a sleepless night last night going through in my head what could have happened.

I've only ever had to deal with a couple of workshop fires, I now keep several fire extinguishers around the place - my general rule is one by every exit.

Managed to accumulate quite few extinguishers for free that were being rotated out of service from a commercial building by the fire contractors, once they reach an age (or change contracts) they just chuck them and replace with new as it's easier/cheaper than testing them.

2 hours ago, Jon W said:

Did the range rover beside it survive??

There is one behing it my P38 and three L322's parked on the road.

As soon as I realised it was out of control II moved the three L322's on to the road well away from it as they were initially parked in close proximity. My P38 is currently imobilised so I put a ratchet strap on the tow mar of the trailer and tied it to one of the L322's to move it away from causing damage to the house or anything else.

4 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Minor damage to the trailer is impressive. I know fire goes ‘up’ but I would have thought anything wood, plastic or rubber would be gone!

Had a look at the trailer this morning and appart from the two tyres I knew about I was expecting brake cables and electrics to be burnt out. Electrics are gone but the brake cables and two tyres appear to be good. Have bought 2 tyres so once I have them on I will take the trailer and get the Range Rover scrapped then assess fully the damage to the trailer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, western said:

Glad your all OK, the trailer can be fixed, sorry you lost a donor vehicle. 

I only had the engine and gearbox to remove. Everything else I wanted is on the other P38 fortunately. I was clearing all the fluids so I could get it scrapped. Petrol was the last thing and I am now certain that ther isn't any petrol in it,

• Like 3

Was it the fuel that you were draining when it happened?  It’s a good lesson to us all to use earth bonding before and during fuel drains and transfers.  Glad you, your house and most of you vehicles and kit are ok.

20 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Was it the fuel that you were draining when it happened?  It’s a good lesson to us all to use earth bonding before and during fuel drains and transfers.  Glad you, your house and most of you vehicles and kit are ok.

Yes

13 hours ago, Snagger said:

Yes the last thing I was doing to it on Sunday afternoon.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:01 PM, Simon_CSK said:

As soon as I realised it was out of control II moved the three L322's on to the road well away from it as they were initially parked in close proximity. My P38 is currently imobilised so I put a ratchet strap on the tow mar of the trailer and tied it to one of the L322's to move it away from causing damage to the house or anything else.

Good thinking! Not many would keep their cool in such a situation let alone be able to act to limit damages.

56 minutes ago, Escape said:

Good thinking! Not many would keep their cool in such a situation let alone be able to act to limit damages.

I am very chilled most of the time however with hindsight I should have moved the trailer sooner and released the ratchet straps holding the car. Maybe even remove the car from the trailer.

I certainly should have moved the wheelie bins, that may yet prove expensive.

• 3 months later...