Disco 2 window switches

cotleigh crasher

Hi everyone

I'm new to all this so please excuse me if I make a hash of it.

I own a 2004 disco 2 TD5. I would like to re-wire the front window switches so that they work independently of the ignition switch (i.e. they will work whether the ignition is on or off). I have been told that it can't be done as they get thier power via the 'body control unit' and it will screw up the alarm/immobiliser. Now, I firmly believe that what can't be done, can be! So, does anyone out there know if this can be done or not, if so, how?

Welcome :)

I guess the problem may be that if you feed power back in to the BCU the wrong way then it may energise all sorts of other circuits you didn't want energised, leading to lots of bells and whistles and sirens plus possibly the occasional pop and a modest amount of smoke :blink:

You might get away with removing the electric window system from the BCU completely and hard-wiring the switches through relays to control the window motors direct, using their own power feed, but it would be a lot of work. Why is it a big issue? You can already close the windows for a set period after the ignition has been switched off, there is a delay timer.

Welcome :)

I guess the problem may be that if you feed power back in to the BCU the wrong way then it may energise all sorts of other circuits you didn't want energised, leading to lots of bells and whistles and sirens plus possibly the occasional pop and a modest amount of smoke :blink:

You might get away with removing the electric window system from the BCU completely and hard-wiring the switches through relays to control the window motors direct, using their own power feed, but it would be a lot of work. Why is it a big issue? You can already close the windows for a set period after the ignition has been switched off, there is a delay timer.

Hi Bogmonster

Thanx for the info.

That sounds like shed loads of work & might well invalidate warranties so I probably won't bother (yet!)

The big issue is that the truck is also my 'office' while I'm at work and I spend a lot of time in it not driving. I find it a real pain to keep turning the ignition on and off just to adjust the window. Trivial I know, but thats human nature for you!

My old Trooper had a system where the windows would work as long as the key was in the ignition so I have been spoiled, really miss it (the window thingy, not the trooper, that was a skip!)

cant u just leave the key in the accessory position so the windows work all the time? well it works on my D1. id be surprised if they needed the key in the running position to work. there shouldnt be much running in the accessory position so i cant see it causing any problems, about all that works on mine is the windows & wipers.

You can already close the windows for a set period after the ignition has been switched off, there is a delay timer.

Is there any way of extending the timer? Either through testbook if it's written into the BCU or by fitting a longer timer relay type thingy?

Just thinking aloud again...

Richard

Is there any way of extending the timer? Either through testbook if it's written into the BCU or by fitting a longer timer relay type thingy?

Just thinking aloud again...

Richard

I doubt it. I'm guessing but I expect the BCU takes an input from the switches and then uses that input to switch a relay, so its probably all integral to the BCU. If you could get into the software you could probably change the time-out but its not something that can be done with T4 as far as I know.