What is this...

SHEKI

Hi,

Long time Defender owner but first time Ex-MoD owner (very excited). Just bought a 1995 110 FFR and still getting acquainted with it but am completely perplexed by this windscreen mounted display. The LEDs all illuminate while cycling through the 6 way light switch and only the green stays illuminated once a lighting option has been settled on. On the lead there is a label marked "display". The device in question is mounted to the lower left corner of the windscreen (LHD truck). The truck was only owned by MoD until my purchase from Witham in July.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much

IMG_3672.jpg

Looks like it could be a MOD driver/journey  tracker & M.O.D. defence vehicle insuraance requirements, as Crown exemptions are no longer valid,  they were fitted to ensure drivers kept to speed limits & the trip info IIRC could be downloaded by the parent units transport section to ensure the drivers were doing the right thing & not speeding & staying on the correct route.

the lights were to notify the driver if they were over the speed limits, it was to be kept on the green light, if yellow or red lit then driver would be suspected of speeding. 

Hi Western,

Guess that makes sense and thank you for the info/solving that mystery!

Glad I found a place with knowledgable people to bounce any questions off of... I'm sure there will be more in the coming days/weeks.