Sooooo brakes

Happens twice now 

driving the 110 and brakes are all fine then out of the blue loose pressure on the pedal pump it up away we go again,

no loss of fluid 

if I have engine running hand brake on and push brake pedal hard and hold it doesn’t go to floor all wheels dry.

any ideas? 

1986 c reg 110 

12 hours ago, western said:

Hopefully a quick readjust will cure it,

I've been on but not posted anything lately.

Well just been under 110 with Jack all wheels good no play,

im guessing servo may be on way out servo pipe looks ok no cracks or that see how we go, 

The old fb has been very quiet of late 

And can’t stand that LR fb page 🙄

Edited by Green200tdi

Servo shouldn't affect pedal travel, if it was faulty the pedal would get a lot harder to push not drop to the floor.

Could be a flexi pipe ballooning or a seal in the master cylinder at a very rough guess, there's not much to bakes and if fluid's not leaking it can only be a few things.

24 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Servo shouldn't affect pedal travel, if it was faulty the pedal would get a lot harder to push not drop to the floor.

Could be a flexi pipe ballooning or a seal in the master cylinder at a very rough guess, there's not much to bakes and if fluid's not leaking it can only be a few things.

Yeah good point long time since I’ve had to diagnose brake problems 😂

will give it a look thank you 😊 

I remember years a go if you fluid was disappearing and you had no leaks it was going in the servo and ending up in the sump or worse still burning with the diesel giving a smoke problem 

mind you that was back in the 80’s 

the FX4 London taxi’s 

will have the wife start the 110 and hold the pedal while I check the rubber pipes 😊

Edited by Green200tdi

7 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

New master cylinder ?

Mo

As Mo says, internal failure in Master cylinder - odly that the first thing that came to mind, but not for anyone else going by the number of posts above. you could check it if you block all the ports with spare bleed screws and then pump the pedal - in theory it should go hard then just sit there or just replace. - in my experience master cylinder seem to have a shelf life anyway, whether they're working or not.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:38 PM, western said:

No. there are 2 adjuster on the rear brake backplates, one adjuster for each brake shoe.

Merging this with the other brakes thread you posted. 

took up the rear shoes didn’t go up much tbh,

so no leak of brake fluid,

no ballooning of rubber pipes,

both front wheel bearing are good,

pipe to servo is good, 

master cylinder? 

• 2 weeks later...

Unable to find my brakes topic so here goes, 

so not loosing any fluid, on max mark,

brake pedal is intermittent one minute it’s ok the next it goes down to the floor pump it up few times back to Normal,

all Rubber pipes ok not ballooning out under pressure, min movement in n/s swivel housing, 

is this master cylinder? 
I’m  at a loss why it would do this loose the pressure without loosing a drop of fluid🤔

1 hour ago, western said:

could be leaking into the servo casing. pull the master cylinder away from the servo & see if any fluid is apparent.

This is what I’m thinking but there’s no loss of fluid it’s been at same Level not moved I’d love the level to drop then I’d know for sure, 

im really starting to think servo it self as it’s pressure? 

5 minutes ago, Snagger said:

It sounds like the master cylinder rather than servo to me, the piston seals not holding the fluid and allowing the fluid to pass the piston rather than be pushed by it.

Exactly what this man says - you get fluid just leaking past the seals usually due to a rusty/scored cylinder barrel, you wont see any fluid loss or level changes.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 9:44 AM, Mo Murphy said:

Master cylinder. Servo failure presents a very hard pedal with reduced braking effect.

Mo

it’s getting worse going right to floor every time now,

I have ordered a new master cylinder be here this week will keep you all updated.

• Like 1