The best 4x4 now...

Anderzander

Having read the Ineos and the new defender threads: 

Indulge me folks - I’m interested in what we think the state of the 4x4 world is.

So I’ll ask a ridiculous question ....Thinking of the type of journeys that built Land Rovers reputation....

Imagine you are in the market for an off road vehicle - that had to be brand new; which one would you buy to:

A. Get an aid worker to a remote outback/steppes type location.

B. Get a scientist around Kamchatka- with all its mountains, volcanoes, and glaciers

C. Re-Launch the Camel Trophy ...

• Like 1

........Toyota Land Cruiser in the base export spec for NGO''s 

The thing is that your list is about the only application for this type of truck , most frequently travelled roads are tarmac I would suggest , from the point of view of a manufacturer selling many K's of vehicles to make money . 

Toyota are huge and can subsidise niche markets ...

Steve b

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ballcock said:

Specifications sound good, 3l diesel, full diff locks twin reduction gears. All it needs is a Defender body transplanted.

And a defender body is only a box, so how hard can it be?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Having read the Ineos and the new defender threads: 

Indulge me folks - I’m interested in what we think the state of the 4x4 world is.

So I’ll ask a ridiculous question ....Thinking of the type of journeys that built Land Rovers reputation....

Imagine you are in the market for an off road vehicle - that had to be brand new; which one would you buy to:

A. Get an aid worker to a remote outback/steppes type location.

B. Get a scientist around Kamchatka- with all its mountains, volcanoes, and glaciers

C. Re-Launch the Camel Trophy ...

Assuming you mean light passenger class of vehicles and not a Uninog. Then the Wrangler is still a highly capable vehicle, either standard or modified. 

They lack the rated towing ability and are clearly aimed at being a recreational lifestyle vehicle, rather than a utility one. But none the less there is no denying what they can do. 

The Chevy Colorado ZR2 is a pretty impressive pickup truck. Front and rear lockers. Good suspension and very capable. Can be had with a 3.6 direct injection petrol or a 2.8 litre Duramax turbo diesel. A bit long overall and IFS for to ever be the ultimate off road. But good none the less. 

"..I emailed Iveco and never had a response..."

No, comms with Iveco requires a lot of patience and persistence.

Articulation is not bad but the lockers are there for a reason.

True, I had to do some welding, but there are a few now with the later cabs grafted on. The chassis and drive train were essentially the same, and there are plenty of high mileage 2wd later ones for chicken feed. I would have had a crack at the swap if I'd kept it.

OP was asking about BRAND NEW vehicles 

As has been said, Australian interior would be more challenging.

TBH I cant think of anything modern I would want to attempt it with, in a situation where there was little hope of rescue.

I just dont trust the reliance on electronics

• Like 1

I know I'm biased but the only brand new vehicle I would take around the world is a foers ibex f8. You can buy one factory built to any spec you want. If your cunning you pick a reconditioned engine, which means you can have a clockwork diesel be it Merc/200tdi or whatever else you fancy. You want 6x6 and a camper body no problem, personally I'd probably go somewhere around 130 wheel base because the body would only be a foot longer than a 110.

IMG_3877sm.jpg.5e2fe63a1922c544f31cdc942926a741.jpg

Mike

• Like 1

Ford Bronco?  Just saying

The Wrangler Pick Up has potential options (we just don't get the decent engine)

Having worked for a supplier of vehicles to NGO's (Toyota Gibraltar Stock-holdings) I can tell you one of the best things about Toyota is there ability to be stripped and rebuilt quickly.

We had a 78 come in to the workshop that had hit an anti-personel mine; it was back out to another NGO (CAFOD) in a week. It's not reliability - it's the ability to last longer with no maintenance. One of the best trucks Toyota had as an aid vehicle option was the Mk 4 Hi-lux, with a NAD 2.8 petrol or diesel. Crew cab, air con, hard top back. All of them had an LSD in the back and TJM 2" lift. That's why the MK 4 was still produced ROW until 2015!

I'd agree with Mike - the Ibex is ideal for Aid Agencies and the like. Endless options. Simple. Strong. easy to work on.

The other option is the G wagen - still offered in commercial 460 and 461 spec

• Like 1