It’s the wrong engine .... discuss ...

Isn't it the only  engine that's out there for them so it's Hobson's choice? I think the observation that BMW want to add the missing work vehicle link to their range has some weight. What other manufacturer has any motivation to get involved. Cummins might sell crate engines but they don't bring the network, not in Europe anyway. I suppose Hyundai? but its hard to think of another contender with the potential win-win fit of BMW. My 2 penneth.

As for the issue of fragile secondary components, I think the management decision is easy.... 90% OK? ....approved, next question.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

The engineering is perfectly possible, but it is expensive (it’s one of the big issues for the space industry and one of their big costs)

Oh totally, It's not cheap. However with time and volumes prices will come down. (Not space industry here, but the same tech - I work on Nuclear Fusion for UKAEA)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Oh totally, It's not cheap. However with time and volumes prices will come down. (Not space industry here, but the same tech - I work on Nuclear Fusion for UKAEA)

Ah, so how’s the “Mr Fusion” unit coming along?  Is only for electric DeLoreans?😉

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Projects that take 30 years to complete , you must feel right at home ☺️

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Society has got so indulgent!  People want everything but want it cheap (in money terms) without considering the long-term real costs.  If hydrogen storage isn't cheap, too bad.  Get a simpler car and live with it.  It's got to happen sooner or later as the other options are too destructive.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I thought a hydrogen fuel cell would be an option on later vehciles to get around the ICE ban, but I did not have Hyundai in my sights. I was expecting BMW, to continue with the existing engine supplier. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/23/ineos-signs-hydrogen-fuel-cell-deal-for-its-off-road-vehicle

It is in the Telegraph too, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/11/23/ineos-agrees-fuel-grenadier-hyundais-hydrogen-cell/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 10:28 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

and the world is small enough nowadays that most places on the planet you could explore in a Merc Sprinter van with a bed & fridge in the back rather than a boyed-up 100k 4x4...

With respect I seem to be proving your wrong on a daily basis 😜

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1