Early rrc headlamps, and converting to led?

retropower

Hi folks it’s been a while, but back working on my Range Rover. It’s an ‘89 but I am fitting an early front end and am now very confused about how the headlamps fit! Does anybody have some decent pictures? I have the alloy bezels and what I believe is the correct front to the new inner wing. I wish to fit a pair of RDX led headlamps but I have no idea what other parts I need, since the wipac bowls and retaining rings that i bought seem to fit neither the car or the lights! The factory parts manual shows various bits but the pictures are difficult to decipher!!

• 3 weeks later...

just for info, The bits were pretty much unavailable, so looked at a different route and ended up buying some jeep type headlamp mounts designed for LED 7" lamps. These required a few simple bits of cutting out to the front of the inner wing lamp boxes but fit a treat and allow much easier adjustment, and sit the lamps perfectly into the early type surrounds without any of the old fixings present.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, retropower said:

just for info, The bits were pretty much unavailable, so looked at a different route and ended up buying some jeep type headlamp mounts designed for LED 7" lamps. These required a few simple bits of cutting out to the front of the inner wing lamp boxes but fit a treat and allow much easier adjustment, and sit the lamps perfectly into the early type surrounds without any of the old fixings present.

Good find , the original system was nothing to admire tbh

Steve

17 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Curious to see how tasteless the LED ones are, I've not seen any yet that I actually like :mellow:

Some are worse than others, but I haven’t seen any that look as good as filament lamp units on classic vehicles.  Then again, I haven’t been searching.  It’s a shame that the replacement bulbs don’t have much of a good reputation and aren’t legal in the UK, as they’re cheap (relatively) and Mike at Britannica Restorations reckons they’re pretty good (I asked him about brand and part numbers for the ones he uses, but he said he just gets them off eBay, with no specifics given).

17 hours ago, steve b said:

That is a very detailed and tidy build Steve , is it going to be a V8 ? 

LED's look ok , the silvering in the housing helps imo . 

cheers

Steve b

Yes 4.6 v8, now I have room, and nearly all of the dirty/messy stuff done, the aim is to start on the engine over the winter

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, SteveG said:

Hi Tony

They’re JW Speaker speaker 8700 dual burn headlights in chrome - also available in black. So not the cheapest option of e-approved LED 7” headlights. 

cheers, Steve 

Thank you Steve, would love to see some more photos of the build, looks a fantastic job.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 4:33 PM, Snagger said:

Would you consider requests for one of you videos dedicated to the Range Rover and all you’ve done on it so far?

Still being hidden from us!  How about one of your uncut episodes?

On 9/2/2020 at 1:26 PM, Snagger said:

Some are worse than others, but I haven’t seen any that look as good as filament lamp units on classic vehicles.  Then again, I haven’t been searching.  It’s a shame that the replacement bulbs don’t have much of a good reputation and aren’t legal in the UK, as they’re cheap (relatively) and Mike at Britannica Restorations reckons they’re pretty good (I asked him about brand and part numbers for the ones he uses, but he said he just gets them off eBay, with no specifics given).

I use some Crawer H4 LED 38W bulbs in my RRC and they give a lot more light without people flashing at me. So I guess they don't blind oncoming traffic.

The edges of the light projection is not as good as with the normal H4 but it doesn't bother me (and the other motorists), it is just much better in all other aspects!

And they draw just 1/3th of the current: 1,5A for the LED and 4,5A for H4.