Radio Suggestions

Hello all,

Im new to this forum and have had a little look about and i like what i see, Ive recently just brought my first Defender (TD5 Van Back 90 2005) And im looking for any radio / speaker setups people have. Not looking to spend thousands just want somthing that does the job. I currently have no radio or speakers in the newer dash setup so pictures and links would be appreciated. Finally ive had a little look at some double and single din radios and personally i think most the double din radios are very tacky or outdated, However id like to be proven wrong on this ;) 

Cheers again

43 minutes ago, Hcrane48 said:

Hello all,

Im new to this forum and have had a little look about and i like what i see, Ive recently just brought my first Defender (TD5 Van Back 90 2005) And im looking for any radio / speaker setups people have. Not looking to spend thousands just want somthing that does the job. I currently have no radio or speakers in the newer dash setup so pictures and links would be appreciated. Finally ive had a little look at some double and single din radios and personally i think most the double din radios are very tacky or outdated, However id like to be proven wrong on this ;)

Cheers again

050E3F45-28E1-451C-9E26-E71457FCC49D.jpeg

Given how many other noises there are to listen to in a Defender. I wouldn't bother. I have a radio, cassette and a CD player in mine and I honestly cannot remember the last time any of them were used. Now I think about it, I don't think the CD player has ever been used

Keep in mind:

CD is dead (and all the old CD's need a lot of space inside the car, they are easy to digitize and store on the phone or tablet)

FM Radio is dead (is going to be DAB+)

Bluetooth speaker with battery can be used outside too. In the car only 12V for permanent charging is needed

HiFi in a Defender is some kind of funny 😄

I'd rather think about a car PC with SSD than a new radio

I've had a few of the cheap chinese TFT screen ones and they've been great value - Eonon and Xtrons seem to be the stand-out names.

I fitted a stupidly-cheap (£12) single-din unit in the 127 as it was very low profile (half depth, and most of that was empty!) but may upgrade it to a double-DIN Android jobby later.

I've got a double-din Android unit in my car which works OK, the optional DAB dongle is complete garbage unless you're parked but I wasn't expecting much from that. It's got USB / aux / bluetooth which covers most ways of getting stuff into it and it was only about £50.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've had a few of the cheap chinese TFT screen ones and they've been great value - Eonon and Xtrons seem to be the stand-out names.

I fitted a stupidly-cheap (£12) single-din unit in the 127 as it was very low profile (half depth, and most of that was empty!) but may upgrade it to a double-DIN Android jobby later.

I've got a double-din Android unit in my car which works OK, the optional DAB dongle is complete garbage unless you're parked but I wasn't expecting much from that. It's got USB / aux / bluetooth which covers most ways of getting stuff into it and it was only about £50.

In the past 24 hours I have installed a cheap Chinese unit too- I thought I'd try out a £40 unit before committing to several hundred. In addition to a set of Pioneer speakers and tweeters, the result is good enough. Who cna complain at Apple CarPlay for that price?

7-Ez-Rs-Vj-BRZe3w21ik-Ir-QGQ

I looked hard at the "proper" versions from the likes of Alpine and JVC but they all seemed to look at least as tacky as the chinese ones, have fewer features and cost 10x the price... I'm sure they have better sound / more power and that the DAB ones have actual functioning DAB receivers in them, but I just couldn't see they were worth 10x the price to me. In a rattly old land rover you're not going to notice the finer points of audio reproduction anyway.