Garage ground anchor ?

Anderzander

I am planning a gearbox swap in my 80” at the same time as a few other jobs, spread over a number of days, and will need to pull the 80” back up a slope into my garage - I was thinking of using some long 3.5t ratchet straps to do that ... but what could I pull against ?

The garage is concrete prefab - so I really need to bolt something to the floor to pull against. 

When I search for ‘garage ground anchor’ I get chunky but oddly shaped things to chain motorcycles to.

Any suggestions Please ? 

You can do this as complicated or simple as you want..

Drill a hole in the floor deep - but not through the concrete - insert a M14 - M16 bolt in the floor all the way down with chemical anchor stuff with an eye on it and it will do in most cases.

Let it dry out for a few days and test.

8 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I am planning a gearbox swap in my 80” at the same time as a few other jobs, spread over a number of days, and will need to pull the 80” back up a slope into my garage - I was thinking of using some long 3.5t ratchet straps to do that ... but what could I pull against ?

The garage is concrete prefab - so I really need to bolt something to the floor to pull against. 

When I search for ‘garage ground anchor’ I get chunky but oddly shaped things to chain motorcycles to.

Any suggestions Please ? 

The ratchet straps are going to be hugely frustrating to use. They wind around the  spindle until they reach the limit of the space allowed and then you need to unwind them and start over again with about half a meter gained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As above, I tried that a couple of times to get a vehicle on a lift. It works, but at a cost (time and associated frustration).

Now we have a cheap trailer winch with a piece of box section to mount it on the trailer, on the rear of the 4-poster, or just secured with a strap to whatever is handy (like an eye bolt in the concrete). It has been a great help!

Filip

• Thanks 1

Thanks all.

Lashing eyes look very good. Another search term I can use 😊

I did wonder about the ratchet straps ... initially I thought of trying to get my 90 with its winch in front of it and relay it, but the way the space works it would be nearly impossible where the rope run didn’t end up in the way.

I’ll look at the trailer winches ... but perhaps it’s time to look at a tirfor too....

A completely different take on how to solve this problem but the single most useful thing I have made for moving dead vehicles is a push pull pole.

It is about a 2.5m length of scaffold tube with a standard trailer 50mm hitch on one end and a trailer ring eye welded on the other end which is the ideal combination for me as I sometimes use a tractor/forklift to move things about which don't have a towball.

It is great as you can push and pull as well as stop the vehicle from moving if it does not have brakes. I have no idea how I coped without it!

• Like 1

The force on any bold into the floor will be a shear force as it is acting against the side of the bolt. So long as it is held down securely I would doubt there would be any great force on a rolling chassis. 

Replace the ratchet straps with a rope and a snatch block and pull the chassis up with another vehicle. The loads should be relatively small. 

I moved 250kg concrete railway sleepers down my driveway using a snatch block and it was very easy and this had a friction surface as it has no wheels over rough ground.

A 2 speed hand winch off a boat trailer if it is a one-off or occasional requirement. If you might want to do it a lot I would look into a 12 volt ATV winch.

The main thing I would be aware of is the possibility of it departing with haste if anything broke, so somebody on standby with something to wedge under the wheels would be sensible!

• Like 1

With something like the ball hitch you can sling a snatch block or strop over it quite easily. I also have some old pulleys which I made into a pulley block which works well for lighter items. I have also moved vehicles around with a long bar on a wheel nut, just make sure you are on the right side for the direction your are moving. and a brick to stop it rolling back.

• Thanks 1

Remember you don't need much to move a truck on solid ground - the recovery bible says 10% of the weight to move it, so 200kg pull to move a 2ton truck.

A cheapo trailer winch bolted to a plate would be a cheap solution, as others said a ratchet strap would be hard work.

• Thanks 1

As has already been said you don’t need too much to move a rolling chassis. I use a cheap atv winch if I’m on my own to pull the chassis back up the slope into the garage. It’s just bolted to a workbench that’s secured. If you zoom in you can see it in this pic..

02B2F65F-6C7F-4C0D-AE4C-C4F749F073B9.jpeg

As its only rolling on solid ground, if the concrete is anything better than rubbish you'd be ok with a lashing ring or similar with some concrete screws into the floor. Line it up with a straight line down the side of where the 80" needs to end up and it can anchor a snatch block with the cable from the 90's winch without getting in the way.

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

As its only rolling on solid ground, if the concrete is anything better than rubbish you'd be ok with a lashing ring or similar with some concrete screws into the floor. Line it up with a straight line down the side of where the 80" needs to end up and it can anchor a snatch block with the cable from the 90's winch without getting in the way.

3 hours ago, bishbosh said:

or run the winch rope under the car, to a snatch block at the back of the garage which will give a centralised pull. :)

I don’t know if I can do a decent job of explaining - but both of those are difficult to do because of the space in front of the garage and the fact that I need to get the 80 hard over on the only side I could get the 90 close to it.

I'm super grateful for everyone’s input 😊

Ive got some M12 rawl bolts with eyes on the way, and I’ll see if I can sort a hand winch. After a push to get it on the slope I could use a hand winch to control it coming out too.