Series 1 Seats/Base for 1987 Defender 90

Hello,

I have a 1987 90 in the Caribbean and I would like to install the Deluxe Series Seats by Exmoortrim on a series 1 1988 tygan vinyl seat base.  Would this be possible? 

Need to know before I buy as shipping it hellish and once they arrive they can't be returned.  

Link Below from Craddock:

Seat Base - https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/ext393-ty-tygan-vinyl-seat-base-8688-series-1-raf-blue.html

Seats - https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/ext378-1-deluxe-black-vinyl-full-seat-set-series-3-by-exmoor.html

This is the little devil.  

Screenshot-2020-08-21-at-12.43.34.jpg

Edited by IslandDefender90
  • Like 1

You would need the matching mounting parts for each option - the S1 seat backs mount to the rear tub front face from memory , not sure about the bases , and the Deluxe S3 set are on frames that go onto adjuster runners on the outside and a fixed frame for the centre one .

@western might be able to point you at the appropriate parts 

But in essence , with the right parts , it should work .

Nice truck , great background 😊

cheers

Steve b

@steve b @western @Eightpot Thank you for the replies!  The truck is a bit of a Frankenstein's monster.   From what I can tell the entire truck is a mix of Defender and Series parts.  The island it lives on, has to do its best with what's around.  I can confirm it is a 1987 Defender 90 in mechanical parts (mostly), but the cosmetics are a carp shoot.

The current seats are two bucket seats on independent frames.  What kind of frames, I have no clue.  Could be Suzuki for all I know (the other popular make on the island).  I don't think the seats are LR.  So I think I have to start from scratch.  And you are right, they aren't cheap! That is why I have to ensure it will work before ordering. 

I am hoping to be back on island next week can can get more information.  But if you have any ideas currently I would love to hear it.  Basically I just want three seats in the front of the 90.  If you follow @islandrovers on instagram you may have seen his 90 with the Deluxe Seats.  He just told me he used the Deluxe Series Seats and a series seat bases from Exmoortrim but I can't find either on their site.  Craddock had these options only.

Edited by IslandDefender90

The Series Deluxe seat mounts are not complicated and could be fabbed up to suit I would say , if runners are necessary they could also be fabbed or converted from what there is "laying around" . The main point to bear in mind is to have steel running from the front edge of the seat box to just in front of the rear mounting flange to take the load and mount through a couple of layers of the aluminium.

Britcar.co.uk might be worth a look for seat bases and backs .

cheers

Steve b

Interesting vehicle! Can't be many around your part of the world.

Not particularly helpful to your initial enquiry but it looks like it has a TD5 tub, does that mean it's a rear mounted fuel tank (or even TD5 chassis)? That certainly would make it a mash up. Like I say, not helpful but just intrigued.

Based on what you've got then yes get the series backs/bases and just get a pair of frames made to hold them, they're only angle iron and flat steel - I can send pics/dimensions of the bare frames.  The fore/aft adjuster rails are the only mildly complex bit on them but I guess not entirely necessary. 

Alternatively if you have trimmers/upholsterers locally just get the bases/backs made also, they're very simple -  foam and vinyl glued to a square of hardboard. 

@steve b So the ones I have from Craddock are not the best choice?

@ThreePointFive It isa rear tank and TD5 chassis.  I can't locate the chassis number on it though.  Not surprised though.  Again this island is as remote as they come.  I just had my mechanic make a new tank as the fiberglass one was leaking.  See photo.  

@Eightpot Thank you for the confirmation.  We have fantastic upholsters on the island.  But I don't think they would be cheaper than me shipping the £200 seat.

PHOTO-2020-08-20-14-05-45.jpg

Just saying there are other suppliers that will ship anywhere , a fellow LR nut I know has been seriously let down by Craddocks with an order of over £800 and he is here in the UK mainland ....

Also still in dispute after 4 months...

cheers

Steve b

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Dunsfold Land Rover are excellent for service and very reasonable on prices.

Can you post some photos of the fittings on your seat base now, so we can work out what you might need?

Hey @Snagger  I can try and get my property manager to send photos today but it will just be on the cab interior with the two bucket seats.  I a due to arrive next week and could take better images.

The first two links are only for the bottom of the adjustable seats used in Defenders and some late SIII County’s.  They would also need the frame that makes the seat back, the sliding rails, the mechanisms and more, plus the cushions and covers.

The third is the frame for the adjustable SIII and early MoD 110 seats, fitting the lower cushions from the fourth link, but are missing the sliding rails and locking mechanism.  You could conceivably bolt those frame directly to the seat base for fixed seating with the basic squabs, but that sort of arrangement was done by the factory using top hat section steel channels that formed a ridge with side flanges bolted to the seat base running along each side of each seat, the rails having the same rear bracket welded to them as those individual frames.  The rails reinforced the seat base as well as locating the squabs.  The frames in link 3 would probably manage to do the same just as well if you can’t find the rails.

The parts from the first pair of links are not compatible with the parts in the second pair.