Poly bush

So beginning of 2021. Is now my mot due date I’ve noticed few of the rear suspension rubbers perishing over the years so thinking of doing all the rubbers Polly bush 

question is what ones orange blue yellow 

what sort of price am I looking at for good ones? 

The softeners you need depends on your use.  I wouldn’t recommend the harder versions (Polybush brand are red, I think) for anything LR related as they not only put more stress on you with every little bump, but put more stress on the suspension components because of their lack of flex.  They would also restrict articulation off road to some extent.  I’d go for the comfort versions, which I think Polybush make in blue.  But from repeated comments by several highly experienced forum members, the best manufacturer by far appears to be SuperPro.  

Personally, I prefer genuine metelastic bushes for several reasons, though they are harder to fit.  Aftermarket metelastic bushes tend to be poor quality and fail quickly, but so do most PU bushes.  The fit of my Polybush kit on my 109 was less than good, each bush half too long to fit the springs once the steel inner sleeve was installed.  All needed cutting down.  If that’s the sort of thing the biggest known brand makes, I’d never be able to recommend them.

• Like 1

I fitted SuperPro bushes to my 110 a few years ago. The ride is great although I don’t have much experience to compare them with.

Fitting was done in a big vice, not too hard to do but I needed a second pair of hands on the radius arms as holding them and getting the bush positioned exactly is a bit tricky. They can easily ‘ping’ out and fly off if you squeeze too much with them out of line.

Removing the old ones was a nasty job. The rubber tends to melt with any power tool that you put near them, like a drill. Burning helps but that’s horrible too. Careful use of a hacksaw to cut a slot is the last step, used to get the outer sleeve to move. 

Personally I have never used genuine Polybush (a brand name which people often use as a general description for all polyurethane bushes - used like Hoover, Biro, Jeep! etc etc) but have fitted a couple of other brands to my 90 over the past 21yrs. 

OE. Good performance & long lasting but yes they can be awkward to remove / fit but then again I have never had to use a press or resort to burning etc.

Bearmach Blue polyurethane. Very hard and as all bushes are single piece they were actually quite awkward to fit as they would suddenly slip out of position as they were being pressed home (using a vice). In use the firmness was very noticeable so I removed them after only 3-4yrs and went back to OE.

SuperPro. These are what I fitted most recently and are still in use. Softer than the Bearmach items which gives a better ride plus the larger bushes are 2-piece which makes them dead easy to fit.

Below is an item regarding the removal of old bushes which I included in my chassis rebuild thread a couple of months ago.

One job I did manage to make good headway on at the weekend despite the weather was prepping the rear axle A-frame and shock mounts ready for painting. Attacked them with a selection of wire wheels in a drill and got everything down to bare metal ready for etch priming next weekend before a couple of coats of Frosts Extreme Chassis Black.
While I have it all apart I thought it was about time I replaced the two bushes, these are most likely the original ones (I have owned the vehicle since 1999 and never changed them) and I have some Superpro ones sitting on the shelf from when I did the rest of the vehicle a couple of years ago.

Removing & fitting bushes always generates a few comments with some declaring that you must use a press while other say that burning is the way, personally I have always use the holesaw / hacksaw method and found it simple, quick and reliable.
Drill through the rubber with a holesaw and remove the centre, use a hacksaw to cut through the outer sleeve and then tap it out with a punch. Easy! :D
You don't even need to drill all the way through the rubber (which is very smelly), cut one third of the way through the rubber from each side and then holding the centre tube in a vice just rip the remaining portion by rotating the arm.

Having done the first bush I thought I would time myself removing the second and it took barely 5-minutes.
Won't fit the Superpro bushes until I have finished cleaning and painting but I know that they go in without problems.

DSCF0017.JPG

From experience I'd recommend only GENUINE rubber bushes, definitely NOT OEM. The rest just aren't worth the few pennies you pay for them.

If you must go polybush then SuperPro, easy to fit and a near rubber level of softness in use but the set that I had lasted only 25k miles before they were worn out.

I just use genuine now, the longevity and comfort far outweigh the additional cost. (Just means more overtime to pay for them 😉)

HTH

Mo

• Like 1

• western changed the title to Poly bush

Just to add my tuppence.

i used genuine polybushes on both my 88” coiler and later on my RRC for trials and they lasted the time I had the vehicles, with the exception of the panhard rod bushes which needed changing every couple of years.

my present 110 has the blue super pro bushes which have been on for two years now, without replacement.