200tdi running hot after rebuild

I just finished rebuilding a 200tdi defender 110 engine. It runs fairly good but the temp gauge indicates its extremely hot on climbing hills and stays close to red till you switch off the engine. How do I tell its actually the engine that is hot or the problem lies elsewhere? I suspect it could be either the belt, temp gauge, rad. How do I rule out the head gasket since I just put a new one on rebuild?

Examine the radiator, the fins between the cooling rows just corrode away & the rad cannot dispose of the excess heat, 

you should have the 5/8unf PRC8593 temperature sender,  is the thermostat the correct 88 degree item ? 

the new head gasket, which type was fitted the laminated steel type or the old style composite, I had a laminated gasket & it let the oil & coolant mix. 

20 minutes ago, western said:

Examine the radiator, the fins between the cooling rows just corrode away & the rad cannot dispose of the excess heat, 

you should have the 5/8unf PRC8593 temperature sender,  is the thermostat the correct 88 degree item ? 

the new head gasket, which type was fitted the laminated steel type or the old style composite, I had a laminated gasket & it let the oil & coolant mix. 

I will check on the above but how do I tell its the engine that is not hot or the vice versa?

you can get temp sensing telltale stickers, you apply these to various engine ares/radiator & it'll either change colour or give a temp number of that part/area. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB911GB911&q=temperature+indicator+strips+uk&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjUkIaSirLrAhV6QUEAHbD1AxoQ1QIoAHoECAsQAQ&biw=1366&bih=633

or buy a heat sensing therometer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infrared-Thermometers/b?ie=UTF8&node=6286456031

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

In addition to the above, did you replace the stat and if so is the new one a genuine one with a vent hole / jiggle pin in it to prevent airlocks?

no I did not replace it and it was working properly prior to rebuild. I may have to check on the airlocks though.

7 hours ago, western said:

you can get temp sensing telltale stickers, you apply these to various engine ares/radiator & it'll either change colour or give a temp number of that part/area. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB911GB911&q=temperature+indicator+strips+uk&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjUkIaSirLrAhV6QUEAHbD1AxoQ1QIoAHoECAsQAQ&biw=1366&bih=633

or buy a heat sensing therometer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infrared-Thermometers/b?ie=UTF8&node=6286456031

I will try a heat sensing thermo

I have done some good work on the rad, actually it had some rusty parts at the bottom. i have also made sure the bleeding doesnt leave any air pockets especially around the stat. I also found the alternator belt worn out and replaced it. NOW the result is that the gauge settles slightly below the middle and it seems to be staying there even on hill climbing. Is this the normal position given that I have just rebuilt?

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Another question... is it the original engine to the car? Retrofitted 200tdi in an early car with the 200tdi temp sender will read hot when it’s not. 

It's a 200tdi engine fitted in a formerly 2.5 defender 110 1983 model.

5 hours ago, Bbosa said:

It's a 200tdi engine fitted in a formerly 2.5 defender 110 1983 model.

Then you really want to fit the gauge from a 200Tdi Defender to ensure compatibility.  I wouldn’t replace the sender with a 2.5 unit as the engines may run normally at different temperatures, so a 12j indication system on a Tdi could give false indications, even though sender and gauge are matched.

• Thanks 1

When I put a disco 300i into my 90 defender , I had hot indication until we fitted the right sender  for the  defender gauge.

problem was solved
not sure of part number.

a previous 200i 90 would sit at just below half and never budged. Nice engine, the 200.