Insurance question - I have too many vehicles...

Tetsu0san

Mornig all

I'm thinking of getting a multicar or a part time traders insurance policy because I have four vehicles on the road at the moment, with another three or four waiting in the wings. I have bought and sold a few cars in the past so a part time traders policy seems like it might be the better way to go, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have experience of a good multicar or a part time traders insurance company?

Cheers

First of all, and as my old Texan boss used to say in reference to his collection of guns: "If you know how many you have, you don't have enough." 😄

Are your vehicles used for business of personal purposes? I've just gone through the insurance process with our work Hiluxes and found it to be a bit of a nightmare, particularly for any-driver insurance. In the end i went with Admiral multi-car and named drivers for everyone.

14 minutes ago, paime said:

First of all, and as my old Texan boss used to say in reference to his collection of guns: "If you know how many you have, you don't have enough." 😄

Are your vehicles used for business of personal purposes? I've just gone through the insurance process with our work Hiluxes and found it to be a bit of a nightmare, particularly for any-driver insurance. In the end i went with Admiral multi-car and named drivers for everyone.

I know I don't have enough! I can still see the drive...

They're used for commuting to work and just personal use. I'm not looking for anything speccial, just the easiest and cheapest way to feed my hunger for buying a bargain, running it for a while, then either selling it on or keeping it.

As a back story I work in IT and I absolutely hate it. I get way more enjoyment from getting my hands oily and fixing up an old car. Ultimetly I'd really like to jack in my IT work and do something I actually want to do. This could be the first step...

I have my own Architectural Practice and have a part time traders policy which I use to help my brother who moves vehicles around the country and for me when I am buying and selling. All above board and have been with the company for 3 years and am about to renew in September. I had one bump last year that was settled without any issue. The cover allows me to work in my day job and in my play job. 

I am allowed to have 10 vehicles on the policy and can change them whenever I wish through an online portal. Last month  I bought a Range Rover Sport that was vandalised and was collecting it in Gloucester and driving it home (to Scotland). As it was a trade car, i.e. one I bought to sell, I technically didn't need to register it on my policy but to save ANPC cameras pinging on the 400 mile trip with the potential for multiple stops I put it on the night before.

Generally I have 5 cars on the policy at any one time. 

3 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

I have my own Architectural Practice and have a part time traders policy which I use to help my brother who moves vehicles around the country and for my when I am buying and selling. All above board and have been with the company for 3 years and am about to renew in September. I had one bump last year that was settled without any issue. The cover allows me to work in my day job and in my play job. 

I am allowed to have 10 vehicles on the policy and can change them whenever I wish through an online portal. Last month  I bought a Range Rover Sport that was vandalised and was collecting it in Gloucester and driving it home (to Scotland). As it was a trade car, i.e. one I bought to sell, I technically didn't need to register it on my policy but to save ANPC cameras pinging on the 400 mile trip with the potential for multiple stops I put it on the night before.

Generally I have 5 cars on the policy at any one time. 

May I ask who the company is that you're using for this?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 10:52 PM, jeremy996 said:

NFU say they have a multi-car policy - might be worth a phone call to the local agent. 

I have an NFU multi-car policy. The only issue I have is that it doesn't cover commercial vehicles and the T4 Caravelle is classed as a commercial vehicle

1 minute ago, Nonimouse said:

I have an NFU multi-car policy. The only issue I have is that it doesn't cover commercial vehicles and the T4 Caravelle is classed as a commercial vehicle

The place I've gone with doesn't mind and I insured my van with them. I do have an old Hilux which isn't on the list of vehicles I can insure, but I suspect that's an easy fix.

• Like 1