More tat to add to pile: Just treated myself to a 'Smiths Oil Check'

Landrover17H

Now until I started messing about with Smiths/Jaeger gauges adding an oil temp. gauge as FFR and some lightweights,  I'd never heard of a Smiths Oil Check', but in a 1968 Smiths sales leaflet there it was? Now, where as I'd not give house-room for car-accessory shop shonk, I've a real soft-spot for period car-accessory shop shonk. I'm no sure where the distinction sits, but the more ridiculous it looks, provided it's period, the more I want it. Anyways, mine's just arrived, and I'm set to  fit this tat very soon. I've already taken all the blurb 'on board', thus my dipstick's days are numbered.

Gents... I give you the 'Smiths Oil Check'

Oil Check Blurb.png

Oilcheck 23-08-20  02.jpg

Oilcheck 23-08-20  05.jpg

Oilcheck 23-08-20  03.jpg

Oilcheck 23-08-20  04.jpg

OilCheck06.jpg

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Like 2

Interesting idea but as the oil height drops when the engine is running and although it does state that in the blurb, it does not explain how long it will take to get back to normal after the engine is off. It says you can check it at the petrol station but this might be too early to tell.

the blurb, it does not explain how long it will take to get back to normal after the engine is off. It says you can check it at the petrol station but this might be too early to tell.

Ah, you're actually looking for useful purpose? Read it again, or if you must,  use it cold.  Me? Worth its weight in gold, I bought a bit of shonk, and precisely because it is a bit of shonk.

Edited by Landrover17H

17 hours ago, missingsid said:

Interesting idea but as the oil height drops when the engine is running and although it does state that in the blurb, it does not explain how long it will take to get back to normal after the engine is off. It says you can check it at the petrol station but this might be too early to tell.

It says wait one minute after switching the engine off before checking the level.

Interesting idea.  I wonder if it can be adjusted in length to suit the available space between block fitting and other engine bay occupants - it looks like it operates simply on vacuum, so cutting down the steel tube and reattaching the hose shouldn’t be beyond the wit of man.

• Like 1

On its way to me now. As far as I can make out, there's a tube with a hole in it, the plunger creates a vacuum in the tube. Or doesn't if the oil is low. There can't be much more to it. What with a few double-entendre on  'pulling on my knob and dipstick'  I'm set for a gold star. If I can be bothered, I'm sure it can be cobbled to work. 

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Like 1

Looks great ! and no more "hands feeling dirty" either ! 

All you need now is one for the gearbox, and the transfer box, and the axles !

I must say that period accessories are far superior to todays tat, and likely to last a lot longer. Remember that unless it says "Turbo" on the box, it wont be much good 😄

...and no more "hands feeling dirty" ...

Damn it, beat me to it.

All you need now is one for the gearbox, and the transfer box, and the axles !

Ah, now - there I'm ahead of you, I've 'Quartz movement'  Oil-level gauges on order.

Oil Level Gauge.png

Edited by Landrover17H

You made me chuckle, I hadn't seen it that way, but you do have a point. Only they'd be finding period-shonk in earnest. All we need now is mention from a Farina owner and we've done it. It's always been a mystery, S2 club too, why are those blokes found with facial-hair?

Edited by Landrover17H

Yeah, you've fallen into another time and dimension, next on tongiht's agenda, we're be discussing if Wolesley 1500 drums are as good.

There's always the LR Series 2 club?  I had my reservations. Nonetheless, a while back I went to one of their turn-outs. I arrived early, and sat in the pub car-park waiting for a gathering. Mine was the only S2 in sight, all arrived in LR's various prams. Bless her, one lady got nearer and managed a 110., she was the only one without facial-hair. I kid not.

I didn't stay.

This arrived this morning... works as I understood this - pull and we see red, hold a finger over the inlet, and we see green. Remove your finger and...

'Fess up, you know you want one.

Red.JPG

Green.JPG

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

This arrived this morning... works as I understood this - pull and we see red, hold a finger over the inlet, and we see green. Remove your finger and...

'Fess up, you know you want one.

Red.JPG

Green.JPG

That'd be the dog's nuts for my P6 project.

Just cheesy enough to really torque the rivet counters, and possibly actually useful, to legitimise it.

From whence cometh it, my good sir?

22 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

You made me chuckle, I hadn't seen it that way, but you do have a point. Only they'd be finding period-shonk in earnest. All we need now is mention from a Farina owner and we've done it. It's always been a mystery, S2 club too, why are those blokes found with facial-hair?

Which type, though?  The beard set has bifurcated into two groups, the one traditional set with a lot of knowledge on a pet subject, the other with slicked back hair or topknot that has no knowledge of anything useful and a dire need of a firm kick in the crotch...

• Like 2

I’d be content with a level warning light for the oil and coolant to save frequent checks, but then you don’t see leaks or the condition of the fan belt...

I'm not sure you're with the spirit.  It's going on, and not for its function. Good if it works, as i said, somehow if it does work (and it looks like it might?) I'll  be almost disappointed.

Just cheesy enough to really torque the rivet counters, and possibly actually useful, to legitimise it.

That's it right there. The fella has it bottled. I drive a leafer, not because it's the best for the job - dear god(sic) for so many reasons it's the worst and will never be any good, but it's fun.  If I can amuse myself, and still persist-off the asinine...

two groups, the one traditional set with a lot of knowledge on a pet subject, the other with slicked back hair or topknot that has no knowledge of anything useful and a dire need of a firm kick in the crotch...

Well-observed and so 'kin true. This thread gets funnier. In sheep-like attempts to appear different - whichever tribe you look to - they can't help themselves, they conform. What is that top-knot about? If you ever want to signal to the world that you are an ocean-going cnut...

Period shonk does it for me. Less leafer, but this has Rover P6 written all over it. Jensen Interceptor and Triumph Stag too. "The Smiths Oil Check' is  the automotive world's answer to  The Bee Gee's 'Greatest Hits' and a Hostess Trolley.

Where's an 8-Track when you want one?

Edited by Landrover17H

Hate to be a Contrarian Colin but a defining feature of some who have top knots  is a near-pathological interest in uncovering archaic and forgotten things/activities/technology from 'yesteryear' and restoring or even creating/selling more. 

They often get into such a depth of knowledge on their one particular subject that they would not just blend into the Series 2 Rivet Counters club or Vintage Lawnmowers of Britain Association but quickly take over and become Chief Beard, using coffee made from beans that have passed through a specific breed of elephant to attract more of their kind to the meetings. Then demand for whatever it is would go up, pushing up prices and pushing out those who say things like "I've forgotten more about the wheelnuts on a 1952 Ausitin Ford Healey Frog Eyed Cortina than you'll ever know" when in truth they just have forgotten. Whereas hipsters have two things old people don't; time and access to Google.

This thread is the exact spirit of the true hipster as an obscure, old technology that is based on a good idea. I like it. It has an obvious flaw that you can't see when your oil turns to Helmans or it's 90% petrol from all the cylinder wash from tuning your carburettor 15 hours a day.

I can't grow a beard and barely have hair so I'm not a participant in this beard hierarchy.

• Like 1

I knew about the elephant-dung coffee, does this mean I'm not completely out of touch? Seems we need a fashion-tips page.
I ask, how many boot-lace ties is too many? Shall I  wrap the rope around my front bumper in ten neat turns or the full fiftheen? I want to appear alluring, will a snorkel make me look 'easy'

Edited by Landrover17H