The Grenadiers

If it's a new team how are they world beating then?

More importantly here, it said the car was built to handle the tough terrain of the road cycle team? Any car can do that? One cycle crashing out has nothing to do with the cars ability. Tenuous marketing connections as cycling is "HOT" right now??

Oh dear.  Looks like Ratcliffe has decided to compete directly with the Pretender, rather than position the Grenadier as a serious and capable working vehicle after all.  This kind of marketing is reminiscent of the crassness of the G4 after the demise of the real event, the Camel Trophy.

The timing cover mating surface on my V8 block has pry-bar marks and gouges all over it from where they've tried to prize it off. It's mangled to all buggery. Photos barely do it justice. I mention this because even though someone can misuse a pry bar to that extent, they still did a better job than the crowbarring of these vehicles into this video.

They're not even kitted out to support the team, no bike racks, no evidence of internal tool storage, no demonstration of their usefulness as a mobile workshop. Where is the brand relevance? Where is the necessity - isn't that what these vehicles and the brand is meant to be all about? There is a reason Skoda Superb estates account for so many teams support vehicles.

Every one of those scenes could/should have been shot without the vehicle present and it would have the same effect. Instead it just looks like an angry 4x4 driver is tailgating some cyclists.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

Utility companies/forestry/land management/farming/public sector/military.

Adding the vehicle to the newly rebranded cycle team should work for all markets - cycling in Europe has always been a well publicised sport and it's currently more 'now'  in the UK.

I'd agree that they have missed a trick by not covering the Grenadier vehicles in cycle racks and random wheels as any cycle support vehicle has a certain elan when driven quickly. (I've been one of the mobile marshalls for the Classic Cicle race around Melton Mowbray and Rutland for the past few years. Beware Belgians driving Skoda Superbs too fast and on the wrong side of the road!).

That said, this is a bit of PR fluff timed before the Tour de France and before there are enough tested Grenadiers to lend 5/6 to the team for some seriously hard work. Breaking down on French telly would be a poor PR outcome.

You aren’t going to market tie into the military. 🙂  Coke proudly sponsoring nuclear subs..... 

This is the bit of fluff to get the Execs of the a mentioned groups interested. I see would beating Cycle team maybe I’m interested, I see Farmer drives straw through field that’s fine but maybe not quite the same hook.

I’m sure we will have adverts featuring those in due course but they only probably have 5 working cars and want maximum visibility ability for minimum budget.

Difficult to sign people up to something you don’t have yet.

17 minutes ago, mad_pete said:

You aren’t going to market tie into the military. 🙂  Coke proudly sponsoring nuclear subs..... 

I get your point, but I meant more along the lines of competing for military contracts and then using that success in marketing information. This would be a classic 'white fleet' vehicle.

The company needs to make a name for itself and this is that put the name on someone’s T-shirt that strengthens the brand. Straight business contracts aren’t quite the same and that’s why I think military is different. 

Military contracts from what I understand take a long time to go through and you aren’t allowed to announce anything if it’s in progress.  

Mountain Rescue would be good but risky. These are early vehicles and having someone injured left on the mountain because the vehicle broke down would be a disaster.  

Carrying a puncture kit up a hill should look a bit rugged but be safe enough.

3 hours ago, Anderzander said:

- although I suppose if they’d sponsored a war that would have

been more rugged and got more press coverage ? 😂

Toyota have that covered ....😉

The " lifestyle crowd " are the ones with (apparent) money and the aspirations to match , as a manufacturer it would be daft to ignore it . It applies to everything for sale new really .

cheers

Steve

On 8/27/2020 at 4:36 PM, Anderzander said:

I remember an estate worker in the Highlands and a few others.

If it's like most of the estates I've been on then a car with good ground clearance will travel most of the roads. After that then a car is simply too heavy and you're into foot territory, quad or similar ATV.

I mean I've sunk an Argo above the wheels and that's sub 2psi of ground pressure... and amphibious.

People underestimate peat. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 10:53 PM, Ed Poore said:

If it's like most of the estates I've been on then a car with good ground clearance will travel most of the roads. After that then a car is simply too heavy and you're into foot territory, quad or similar ATV.

I mean I've sunk an Argo above the wheels and that's sub 2psi of ground pressure... and amphibious.

People underestimate peat. 

If it’s like the estate I worked on then it’ll definitely get a good workout... several “roads” requiring diff lock and passengers grabbing the Jesus handles just to get to the end of the road 😂😂