Front Silencers

geoffbeaumont

Anyone know what the differences (if any) are between the front silencer of a cat and non-cat 3.9V8 classic?

You can get the mid and rear sections separately for non-cat but not for cat from most places, but some exhaust sites list the same part for the mid silencer for both...

I only need that one section :(

This any help? (Sorry for carp scans)

Hmm, think it would work. It's hard to be sure without any dimensions.

I can't answer for sure but I can go out and take a few snaps of my mid section (o'er missus) - it's the non cat type...?

What would be much more useful (and less hassle for you :) ) would be if you could measure the length of the exhaust section containing the silencer, from joint to joint.

Ah yeah I'm just looking at the scans, my box is the one where the entry pipe (with the flange) is offset. It seems to be shorter then the cat type which enters in the middle of the box. Thats probably where you gain your 3"

Can't believe yours is 3" bigger then mine :(

Ah yeah I'm just looking at the scans, my box is the one where the entry pipe (with the flange) is offset. It seems to be shorter then the cat type which enters in the middle of the box. Thats probably where you gain your 3"

Can't believe yours is 3" bigger then mine :(

Strangely mine is also offset and looks more like the non-cat one you've got - it's probably an aftermarket exhaust, given where I bought it from, but the one it replaced was the same.

Still 3" longer that yours, though :D:P

Would you not be better in the long run betting the local boy racer place to fabricate you a nice stainless exhaust, especially as you're having trouble getting bits to fit together?

I used a local place, who do http://www.zaust.com/ They did me 3" stainless front to back, both boxes are very small compared with standard (there's little if anything in them either), and routed the exhaust higher up in the chassis than standard, meant extra bending but hey, I wasn't doing it.

The best bit? £250 built and fitted. So not only will it outlast the rest of the car it rumbles and grunts like a V8 should.

Would you not be better in the long run betting the local boy racer place to fabricate you a nice stainless exhaust, especially as you're having trouble getting bits to fit together?

I used a local place, who do http://www.zaust.com/ They did me 3" stainless front to back, both boxes are very small compared with standard (there's little if anything in them either), and routed the exhaust higher up in the chassis than standard, meant extra bending but hey, I wasn't doing it.

The best bit? £250 built and fitted. So not only will it outlast the rest of the car it rumbles and grunts like a V8 should.

Two different exhausts - a stainless exhaust (of unknown parentage - I've been told it could be Rimmer Bros, but frankly it could be anything...), which is the one I've been after sleeves for, and the old mild steel exhaust off mine is going on the donor car which I'm selling to Rogue Trooper. Only since I last crawled under mine just before christmas the front silencer on the mild steel exhaust has started to look a little tired :angry: