Pneumatic Rivet Gun

Bigj66

Has anyone tried one of the cheapo pneumatic rivet guns that you can pick up for around £35?

I’m assuming they’re cheap copies when you compare them to the price of some of the better makes but that doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t work ok but they do seem a bit too good to be true.

Anyone used one and has some feedback?

I have a fair bit of riveting to do so I think it would be handy to have one of these on the shelf if they’re ok.

2 hours ago, steve b said:

The ratchet type riv-nut tool is much nicer to use than short pliers , and yes , air powered ones are ££'s 

I've got a Tucker and a Sealey air riveter and they both work fine , the Tucker is probably 40 years old .

May have to upgrade. Using the standard ones is not fun after you do your 4th or 5th M8

On 9/4/2020 at 11:55 AM, L19MUD said:

Wish there was a pneumatic riv nut tool!

While browsing for a pneumatic rivet gun, I came across a riv nut one for the same price (€50). So cheap ones do exist, no clue if they deliver good quality (more important for a riv nut than for a simple rivet) and last a reasonable time.

I've seen adaptors for an electric drill as well, at even lower prices. I wonder if that would be any good. We don't often use rivets, but when we do it's not something I enjoy... Airpower could make things a lot easier.

Filip

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 6:13 PM, steve b said:

I've got a Tucker and a Sealey air riveter and they both work fine , the Tucker is probably 40 years old .

...well that was the curse of praising the long life of gear , the Tucker packed up today . I've got a service kit somewhere so when I find it , it will get stripped and overhauled (hopefully)

Steve

•  
  • Laser 3736 Heavy Duty Riveter, Nut Riveter and Lock Bolt Kit £108.00 not too bad I suppose. It says it does rivnuts up to m12. I like the look of that, may have to wait for a vat free day.

Just looked on Ebay they are £99, And I can get 15% off.

Edited by ballcock

My order was delivered on Saturday morning from Tool Academy off ebay, I am impressed with the kit although I haven't tried it yet. As for the flanged rivnuts ideal in softer metals but leaves a gap between surfaces where as the other in steel or thicker aluminium reduces that gap. Unless of course you dimple it.

How good are these where there’s tight access, for example the hole is near a bend/vertical surface? I have a memfast Rivetnut tool, and it’s mostly good, but if a hole is 8mm or less to a vertical surface I can’t get the tool in there to sit flat.

I guess how tight you get in will depend upon the height of the vertical surface as the size of the body will be restrictive however I would say with a bit of improvisation you could make it longer you could cut the threaded shaft in half and extend it and then slide a suitable piece of pipe over it to pull the rivinut onto if that makes sense regards Stephen

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

How good are these where there’s tight access, for example the hole is near a bend/vertical surface? I have a memfast Rivetnut tool, and it’s mostly good, but if a hole is 8mm or less to a vertical surface I can’t get the tool in there to sit flat.

When they get that tight I would just resort to the old method of a nut and bolt to tighten it up.