Overheating fuel pump relay - 2006 TD5

Filbee

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this...

The fuel pump relay on my recently acquired 110 TD5 hardtop (ex utility) is getting very hot.

The original yellow relay was playing up by occasionally not operating, so I pulled it out and noticed it had brown burn marks on the casing next to the terminals attached to the main pump feed wires (white/purple). 

I changed the relay for a new pattern one of the same spec. Made no difference, still getting really hot.

Next I replaced the spade connectors with proper uninsulated crimped ones and even ran some solder into the connections to make sure there was a good connection. Made no difference, still getting really hot.

So next I firted a new fuel pump (VDO), along with a new genuine LR filter head and filter. Made no difference, relay still getting hot...

I bought myself a little AC/DC clamp meter to measure the current going through the white/purple wires from fusebox to relay and relay to pump. It's telling me it ranges between 13 amps when cold to 14 amps when up to temp (stationary, not under load). I've no idea if this is about right or not but I read somewhere that the factory workshop manual says it should draw a maximum current of 15 amps.

So I'm a bit stumped really. I'll probably do the injector seals and FPR as a bit of preventive maintenance and see if that makes any difference.

The truck runs fine. She starts first flick of the key, idles smoothly and pulls nicely. The only thing I have noticed is that the exhaust smells a bit strong.

Has anyone come across similar issues or have any idea what might be causing my over heating relay?

Thanks in advance