Workshop Vacuum

Retroanaconda

On 9/8/2020 at 8:28 AM, Bowie69 said:

Just be a bit careful, the modern Henry's are not what they were thanks to the EU wattage restrictions. Much more lightly built, completely different animal.

I have a 'modern' Henry, no complaints so far, though it is mostly in the house on pet hair duty.  Left the previous 'old' Henry the house I now let out.

An ex-submariner told me that the navy uses Henrys on their nuke boats - bagless.  If it's good enough for them...

In the garage is a Lidl special - works quite well but noisy as a noisy thing.  Do yourself a favour and spend the coin on a Henry and a set of bags.

All you people getting vacuums consistently blocked with bits of tree meat: have a look on Youtube, it's full of people building cyclones to separate the wood shavings into a bucket.  If the shavings are getting stuck in the hose, you can get smooth bore hoses from the usual merchants.  But honestly, for serious wood working, you need an extractor, rather than a workshop vacuum.  There is a difference (flow versus pressure).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I also have a Henry which dates from 2005 - which I guess makes it an 'old' one?

It has refused to die despite continued abuse.

The only thing I don't use it for is cleaning my lathe / mill (which killed a previous vacuum in a few days).  For that, I have a pneumatic venturi-vacuum which you connect to an air compressor.  It's not the most sucky of vacuums but having no moving parts, it's never going to die due to ingress of anything.

Si

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, Stephenc said:

I built a cyclone vac using a 25l metal paint tin and a standard vac. 

The tin takes all the carp and the vac only has to deal with the finest of dust. Having done it I wouldn't go back. 

I saw those cyclone's for a standard vacuum and they look brilliant.  A smaller version of a standard workshop extractor idea, they save on clogging up expensive vacuums

I have been using an old standard vacuum (that 'accidentally' ended up in the Workshop after moving out from my ex) for over 10 years. It copes amazingly well, despite the abuse. I do have an external cyclone type canister to attach as a prefilter when doing metal flakes etc. 

Last week I was given a big old chimney vac. I've been using that on the rough concrete of the first floor storage and it works a treat! The place has never looked so clean. I'm thinking of painting it white with some colorful LEDs and calling it R2D2. 🙂