80" Barn find at auction

steve b

Just been told about an 80" that is coming up for auction tomorrow here in Suffolk that is one owner and dry stored for 30 years 

112612525_barnfindoneowner.jpg.2298f42765f09ab40ab67df464ea0fc2.jpg

138115577_barnfindoneowner3.jpg.436d3aeabb57f15131e29a354b820268.jpg

1101074633_barnfindoneowner1.jpg.7c3d29b45edd917fa9da93ae7a8bd9f3.jpg1671090312_barnfindoneowner2.jpg.1dc1654972bc39c9f9950f298c5bdf1a.jpg

note the brass gauze rear window panel on the hood .

What a lovely find , don't think I'll be bidding though , probably going to be a lot more than I paid for my last 80"....

Needless to say I have no connection with either the owners or the auction house .

cheers

Steve b

• Like 1

yeah , you are not wrong there , I like a good resto , but I like a preservation even more . Let's hope JLR are not there for the Reborn flag .

I know of someone only 15 miles from the auction venue that bought an Australian one owner ex sheep station  80" '49 (unrestored) back to the UK about 3 years ago and I suspect he will have paid less than this will make .

Still nice to think that they are still about waiting to be set free 

Steve

• Like 1

Wonderful history on it ! 

Hope you don’t think I over restored mine.😊 I worked on the basis that I’d preserve what was there - and what was already changed or totally knackered I’d replace or upgrade.

On mine that meant the paint and the engine were a mess - so I felt free to change / upgrade / replace them.

On a car like that I’d be looking to preserve everything that didn’t need replacing for it to work and be safe.

there are very few around that are original - it's the nature of the beast . When something like this comes along it is completely original with provenance , hard to ignore.

Yours is completely lovely and done perfectly as a resto with very subtle modernisation , as you know I love it.

Steve

• Like 1

Very kind - I think it is a worry though with 80’s that many of those with original finishes are restored and effectively lost. It was something I considered deeply.

As they say - they are only original once.

The worst case of it I think was Winston Churchill’s 80 ... I was genuinely horrified that it was restored to the point where not a trace of its history remained bar the number plate. Nothing was repaired, a lot restored and too much replaced.

Interesting timing.

I saw this 80" on ebay just now, ad said it was a rare historic find and priced at £20k.

s-l1600.jpg

Problem is it is a RRC hybred and although a fantastic RestoRod not original at all. In my efforts to find its history I found a post on the Series 1 Owners Club forum from Philip Bashall of Dunsfold a number of years ago stating that they had a totaly original 80" (similar condition to the first post here) for sale. This unfortunately was sacrificed by the purchaser to make the hybred above. Good news is that the DVLA has it as first registored in 2015 so it must have been SVA/IVA'd as a new build but don't know how they kept the registration number.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, steve b said:

Care to expand that a little ? 

Me?

Looks like it is about to snap in half like something out of a bad sketch show.

Nothing against the vehicle, but I struggle to see how they will fix it up in a financially efficient way without replacing most of it, thereby spoiling it further.

4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Me?

Looks like it is about to snap in half like something out of a bad sketch show.

Nothing against the vehicle, but I struggle to see how they will fix it up in a financially efficient way without replacing most of it, thereby spoiling it further.

😂 "financially efficient way" - we are talking about Land Rover projects are we ?

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, steve b said:

yeah , you are not wrong there , I like a good resto , but I like a preservation even more . Let's hope JLR are not there for the Reborn flag .

I know of someone only 15 miles from the auction venue that bought an Australian one owner ex sheep station  80" '49 (unrestored) back to the UK about 3 years ago and I suspect he will have paid less than this will make .

Still nice to think that they are still about waiting to be set free 

Steve

There was a 1948 80" in a shed only a couple of miles from here.  I sold the owners a Morris Minor in 1992, which is when I first saw it.  The family had it from new, I believe.  They'd hit it with red paint in the distant past and they had riveted some galvanised sheet to the soft-top hoops but it was otherwise original and used every winter when "it got too muddy to use the Suzuki"!  It disappeared a year or two ago.  I'd be very surprised if they got anything like UK prices for it.  

My old 86" (which was one of six sent to trial the USA market and then converted back to right hand drive according to the sellers who were, at the time, Land Rover agents) came on the market recently for $NZ1,500 in similar condition to the one in this post but still running (with good chassis and bulkhead but dreadful steering box and noisy transfer box).  I think the last two years might have killed all that though.  Series 2 and 3 Land Rovers suddenly have started selling for very silly money here too.  I still know of a couple of unrestored Series 1s sitting in sheds here and there but doubt any would be for sale.  Some people have enough money and would rather keep their toys than sell them!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet , but someone I know was registered to bid so am hoping to find out soon .

I would not be surprised if it went for five figures including fees , but that's just a guess really in this new normal ...

I do hope it is preserved and not polished up 

Steve b

• Like 1