A little confused.......

On here I’ve seen topic for EGR valve people want to blank them off I thought this was just a Land Rover thing but I drive a Renault trafic van for my business great van now on the trafic fb page people are going on about blanking off this valve,

someone explain to me what’s the problem with this egr valve And why they want to remove it🤔

it’s there for a reason 🤔

The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system is part of the vehicle's emission control system. It directs some of the exhaust gasses back into the engine under certain conditions to alter combustion temperature and therefore emissions produced. 

The valve can stick or gum up causing problems which is one reason some people remove them or bypass them. 

This link is an interesting read. 

I had misunderstood the problem, thinking that the valve sticking occasionally was a small issue that was fairly easily rectified.  The real problem is that they allow a lot of soot particles to enter the intake system, where they bond with the oil typically present from the breather system, and they form a tar like sludge that coats everything from the valve to the bore, including head ports and valves, gradually choking the engine.  It builds up very thickly,  not just a thin coating.  Having seen what some of the guys here have had to deal with, I have come to change my position completely and agree that they are best blanked off where legal.

• Like 1

Also, see this video for the state the inlet valves get into in an engine that has egr:

Personally, as it is just for emissions, I would disable/remove egr from any vehicle I own*, it's a terrible idea in all honesty.

*There are some legal implications for this, do as you will.

17 hours ago, landroversforever said:

The older traffics you can do really easily but rotating the EGR valve in its housing without removing it. It covers the ports so stops it doing its thin but everything looks like it’s working normally. 

Thanks, my son has just bought one so it will be interesting.

For what it’s worth, on my 300Tdi RRC, a previous owner had switched the lozenge shaped steel plate gasket between the base of the valve and the exhaust manifold with an identically shaped and thickness (standard) blanking plate, so the system was all fitted and looked entirely normal.  Th valve on the Tdi is operated by a servo that is is electronically signalled but pneumatically operated by the vacuum pump on the side of the engine (the one that vacuums the brake servo).  Disconnecting the vacuum should also disable the system, but be sure to cap the vacuum line so that the engine doesn’t breathe too hard.