How wide is yours? Advice about a vice

SPendrey

Hello,

I've had a Record No. 6 vice for many years, but had a job recently (replacement prop UJ) that needed it to open 1cm wider than it could... it seems to be limited to about 13cm opening.  Online, it seems the #6 should open more, some report 20cm, but I think that's a stretch.  Anyone willing to measure theirs?

Ta,

Scott

2020-09-12 14.22.35.jpg

Thank you David, this is useful.  Mine is clearly older than those in the booklet, in particular the thread on the rod through the middle being much coarser... and what happens is about 2" from the end that thread gets so coarse it won't turn any more.  There is no "end stop" as such, just the thicker thread.

Never mind, I'll have to live with it as is!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 11:33 AM, SPendrey said:

Thank you David, this is useful.  Mine is clearly older than those in the booklet, in particular the thread on the rod through the middle being much coarser... and what happens is about 2" from the end that thread gets so coarse it won't turn any more.  There is no "end stop" as such, just the thicker thread.

Never mind, I'll have to live with it as is!

That doesn't sound right, either a manufacturing defect or someone has buggered about with it.
The table from the 1963 Record catalogue agrees that it should open to about 8 inches.

Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 19.14.03.png

• Like 1

It will not be a manufacturing defect.

My dad worked for C and J Hampton and Co makers of record tools and their successors from 1946 to 1983.  he was a tool setter on vices for part of that time.  they did not sell seconds.  they were all scrapped.  Workers were allowed to dismantle scrap items and build good ones for their own use, sold at a peppercorn price but inspected before they left the factory.  They valued their reutation.

Peter

• Like 1