lucas toggle wiper switch - self-park

garryc

1982 series 3 lightweight.

I'm trying to reconnect my wiper switch so the wiper self parks. I did have it working fine and drew myself a diagram to keep handy but you know how it goes. And I am now on my 11th fuse having blown them using various combinations.

I have a Lucas Off/On/On type toggle switch. I bought Off/On/On because I thought a series 3 Ltwt had two speed wipers. But it appears not.

It has terminals on the back at the positions marked

1, 4, 6, 7, 8

There are no spade terminals at positions 2, 3 or 5.

Coming from my motor I've got

Green

Red/Green

Brown/Green

I get the wipers to operate but when I turn them off something shorts and the fuse blows.

I've spent so much time looking at the wiring diagram I think I could draw it from memory. But I'm not getting anywhere. And I've searched across the internet and used the forum search. Hence my request for guidance. Could anyone please tell me which wires go to which terminal so the self-park operates again.

Thank you.

Its not simple replacing the rotary switch with a toggle one, as to park, the switch shorts out the motor, when you turn it off and the motor park switch cuts the permanent 12V feed at the end of the stroke. The Lucas ON/ON won't do this.

What switch did you have before the new one and why can't you reuse the old one?

Edited by simonb

It had been altered significantly for use in comp safari. Wiring had been chopped and routed through a toggle switch and a push button for washer. I’m trying to restore it to something which looks stock but I didn’t want the rotary duralite type. Hence I thought I’d try a “heritage” look by using a Lucas toggle switch where the choke cable used to sit.

You can use the standard Series 3 headlamp off/on/on toggle switch - I have this in my 2A lightweight to operate the two speed wipers Including parking correctly - instead of the single speed wipers.

I will remove the instrument panel in the next few days If you would like photos, it required an extra wire piggy backing onto one of the terminals from memory.

Self-park? Are you sure... I mean, mine runs one up, one down. I switch things off, to catch it such that the 'up' is passenger-side. Done it for years? The idea these might also self-park is like space-age thinking to most of us. No one believes me, but I overtook a car once.

Are you sure you've got the right vehicle? Have another look.  It's a Jaaaaaaag isn't it?

Say it is....

It is isn't it?

Edited by Landrover17H

13 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

You can use the standard Series 3 headlamp off/on/on toggle switch - I have this in my 2A lightweight to operate the two speed wipers Including parking correctly - instead of the single speed wipers.

I will remove the instrument panel in the next few days If you would like photos, it required an extra wire piggy backing onto one of the terminals from memory.

If you wouldn't mind I'd be really grateful. Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

HI all

hope you don't mind if I hijack this topic, I have a similar issue I've just joined so not sure of the rules yet

I have a 1959 series 2 which I parked in my garage about 20 years ago intending to replaced the gearbox, which led to it needing a replacement bulkhead, chassis out riggers etc etc interest soon got lost along with most of the removed parts

till lockdown !

the vehicle was a bit of a basket case even then a real mixture of series2,2a and 3 parts !

I have the same wiper motor as mentioned previously it came with the replacement bulkhead and can confirm it works and self parks, when suppling power to the appropriate wires but not when trying to operate it via a two position toggle switch 

can somebody advise me how to identify if I do have a two speed wiper motor? and how to wire up a suitable switch I am sure the park issue can be solved by incorporating a relay but wondered if it just requires a more specific switch /

cheers kevin