300tdi swap

Hi guys, I have a 1999 110 defender. It’s been rebuilt on a galvanised chassis and also has a 300tdi engine. 
The 300tdi engine has blown up so needs replacing. 
my question is, can I fit a 300tdi out of a disco easily or would there be many modifications to do? 
Thanks... 

33 minutes ago, ballcock said:

Welcome to the forum. I believe the 300Tdi is a straight swap, it was the 200 that was slightly different. When you say the engine blew up! what has gone on it? Most things are repairable.

Thanks for the welcome. 
The truck should have an early Td5 but was changed by a previous owner. 
I knew the engine was bad when I bought the truck but I still got about 6 years out of it. It just kept on going so I kept on driving. 
it started making a horrible noise on the duel carriageway so I knocked it out of gear and coasted to a safe place, by which time the engine had ground to a noisy halt. 
it wouldn’t even turn over and the AA guy said it was seized solid. 
I don’t have the time, know how or facility to do a rebuild myself so would much rather buy a good, low mileage unit to drop straight in. 
Defender engines seem like gold dust and usually carry a much higher price tag, than a Discovery. 
I just wondered if there were any major differences? 
Someone told me the exhaust manifolds are different but I already have that, on the old motor. 

Some late Disco I's with a 300 Tdi & autobox have a pot meter on the injectionpump. Just remove it.

Some say they are more BHP but I've never noticed much difference.

While the engine is out, may I strongly suggest you do the timing, seals and fuel lift pump...

Engines are pretty much identical. Discovery had a higher output alternator, but that's no bad thing. Also, the defender has a bracket for the air filter housing that is held on by 2 of the head bolts, discovery didn't, so you might need to take them out to swap it on. 

Some later auto discovery's had an electronic injection pump vs the cable type. 

If the Discovery engine does have the EDC fuel pump, you can swap the pump from your old engine onto it.

Dave makes a good point about the alternator - make sure you update the wiring on your vehicle to the battery to handle the extra current.  

Defender models have the air filter cradle to be transferred to the Discovery engine.  I believe they are otherwise the same.