OT: Fill my crack

FridgeFreezer

I have a crack in the plastic housing of my dishwasher (yes, it's plastic, it's Hinari Kwality :rolleyes: ) that lets water leak out. I tried a bit of silicone sealant in there but it doesn't like wet + hot + dishwasher powder and has dissolved :huh:

Only other thing in the house is superglue but that doesn't like water either (it says). I do have instant gasket kicking about (LR content, see?) but as the d/w is white I'd rather not stick black/orange/red/blue stuff all over it.

Can anyone recommend anything that will sort this and that's either clear, white, or some relatively subtle colour and won't kill me?

I have a crack in the plastic housing of my dishwasher (yes, it's plastic, it's Hinari Kwality :rolleyes: ) that lets water leak out. I tried a bit of silicone sealant in there but it doesn't like wet + hot + dishwasher powder and has dissolved :huh:

Only other thing in the house is superglue but that doesn't like water either (it says). I do have instant gasket kicking about (LR content, see?) but as the d/w is white I'd rather not stick black/orange/red/blue stuff all over it.

Can anyone recommend anything that will sort this and that's either clear, white, or some relatively subtle colour and won't kill me?

superglue should be fine, its what window fitters use to stck UPVC windows together with.... once its stuck thats it, nothing will get it off....

Bloody bike - we're doing tyre swapping this afternoon :rolleyes: any idea if Kawasaki wheels can be bolted to a Honda, it would save me driving to pompey with them because the poor little lamb's too weak to carry them himself on the bike (I think he must be related to Al).

Bloody bike - we're doing tyre swapping this afternoon :rolleyes: any idea if Kawasaki wheels can be bolted to a Honda, it would save me driving to pompey with them because the poor little lamb's too weak to carry them himself on the bike (I think he must be related to Al).

can make anything fit but straight swap - no chance

should've said theres the bike tyre changing kit in the barn from the race bikes - doh!

I did wonder if it was the sort of thing that is DIY, but it risks yours truly getting roped in to helping - and grappling with bike tyres in the p*ssing rain doesn't sound like fun.

Although, watching Dave grappling with bike tyres in the p*ssing rain while I'm sat in the lounge sipping a cup of earl grey does sound quite appealing :lol:

What about epoxy filler, which is used to repair holes etc. on GRP hulls/decks.

If I get a crack in my deck, usually where a deck fitting is attached causing a stress fracture under load, I grind/sand a bit out, fill with epoxy (grey colour) then finish with GRP filler (white) which sands/polishes down so that there is no evidence of there ever being a problem.

If there in an impact hole or fracture to the hull, the same process is used, although I lay up some glassfibre mat and GRP resin on the inside to reinforce the repair.

Again the repair can be completely hidden with careful polishing. It is not a difficult repair and easier than one might imagine. A good sniff of the acetone (used for cleaning the repair site) helps things along. :unsure:

The issue I am unsure about is the resistance to temperature and the rate of expension/contraction of the filler vs. the "plastic" of your housing.

John

...I'd lend you my dishwasher, but he's at work this afternoon :ph34r::lol:

If none of the above work could try Mr Brown, he has all manner of water resistant sticky things due to spending all day with boats. :blink:

...I'd lend you my dishwasher, but he's at work this afternoon :ph34r::lol:

Watchit woman! You made my dinner yet? ;):ph34r::D

Mr Brown could probably make a whole new cover thing out of fibre glass for ya... and then use sickaflx to hold it all together. He does have a fetish for the stuff! :ph34r::moglite::hysterical:

If only I could afford a new one - got a Landy to build you know!

When it does get replaced I'm quite tempted to mount it in the landy to save on washing up during extended camping trips - solar shower to feed it, mains inverter, bob's your uncle! BTW it is a table-top model, I'm not daft enough to fit a full-size one into the landy. No, that comes when I make an expedition trailer... :)

Watchit woman! You made my dinner yet? ;):ph34r::D

Mr Brown could probably make a whole new cover thing out of fibre glass for ya... and then use sickaflx to hold it all together. He does have a fetish for the stuff! :ph34r::moglite::hysterical:

at this point i think i'll remind you of some very absorbant wipes!!!! :ph34r: and yes i would recomend SIKAFLEX (for those that can't spell it) :blink: or an epoxy glue if it doesn't flex

mike

J&B weld.

or

4 minuet J&B weld.

I held the Disco 2's thrmostat housing together with it when it fell apart one day. It lasted three weeks before I could get a new part. (that 3000 miles holding a Td5 water system together mid summer)

Freelander 1.8 engine mounts have been fixed with it while in the 2004 BORC

and Halfords sell it to.

We also stuck a barbique back together with it when I dropped it.