Hazard lights warning

I had an advisory from the MOT saying that the hazard light warning indicator wasn't working (All four indicators come on when the hazard switch  is turned on). What should light up to show that the hazards are turned on, I have replaced the switch and hasn't made any difference. I have recently replaced the indicators with LED's, will this have affected anything ? 

The vehicle is a 300TDI Defender.

Edited by Hawklord
Vehicle added

What has been said above, plus have you done anything with the dash indicator warning lamp? If not then it won’t work correctly with led bulbs in the indicators because of the way in which it is wired to be common to both sides. With the filament bulbs this didn’t matter but it does with leds.

The easiest way to fix it is to buy the rdx kit which replaces that dash warning lamp with an led one that overcomes the issue. You can find it on eBay. 

Edited by Peaklander

A new flasher unit came with the led lights and has been fitted. It has an adjuster on it but which I think is used to adjust the frequency of the flashes, could this affect the dash light.

The hazard switch has a plug in connector in the middle and one wire attached to a side connector, the other side connector has nothing on it, are you saying that this should be connected to earth ?

The dash indicator warning bulb is I think the original but I did change some to led's a long time ago so will check and change to led if necessary.

When the hazards are switched on is it the same bulb as for the indicators on the dash that lights up or is it a different one ?

Thanks for your replies so far.

The indicator lamp on the dash is the one used for hazard as well as normal. You can’t just swap it for an led. It needs a couple of diodes in the circuit too that isolate one side from the other. These are ‘built in’ to the legs of the rdx one. As I said it’s an way swap but it does cost £25-30 IIRC. 

50 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

A new flasher unit came with the led lights and has been fitted. It has an adjuster on it but which I think is used to adjust the frequency of the flashes, could this affect the dash light.

The hazard switch has a plug in connector in the middle and one wire attached to a side connector, the other side connector has nothing on it, are you saying that this should be connected to earth ?

The dash indicator warning bulb is I think the original but I did change some to led's a long time ago so will check and change to led if necessary.

When the hazards are switched on is it the same bulb as for the indicators on the dash that lights up or is it a different one ?

Thanks for your replies so far.

The adjuster is to set the trailer indicator tell tale, with ign on & engine running, select left or right indicators, then adjust the flasher unit until the trailer light goes out, check it for both left & right, 

yes black/red trace on one side & other to earth, there should be a short plain black wire coming from the 8 way socket to fit the side terminal.

for the dash indicator, use the RDX light as mentioned above via ebay shop https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDX-Earth-Fix-Kit-For-LED-Indicator-Lights-Land-Rover-Defender-200Tdi-300Tdi-/232280619868

with hazards on you should have a Red light in the hazard switch & trailer indicator green as well. see my video below, made a while ago for a similar uery.