just putting this here

Nonimouse

45 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Not sure I see the point of a much thicker/stronger aloominum body for a LR... surely the point is the body doesn't need to be strong?

I would beg to differ on that. Over the years I have seen the result of a couple of LRs tail ended by trucks, with the body just wiped off.

Can only say I am very pleased that I was not in them !

2 hours ago, smallfry said:

I would beg to differ on that. Over the years I have seen the result of a couple of LRs tail ended by trucks, with the body just wiped off.

Is slightly thicker aluminium going to fundamentally change that result though? Or the result of a rollover?

On 9/17/2020 at 6:32 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

If only they made decent all-alloy doors that bolted on to original trucks, now THAT would be worth it.

Not sure I see the point of a much thicker/stronger aloominum body for a LR... surely the point is the body doesn't need to be strong?

And aluminium bulkheads. I think it is a great product they have there. It is heavy though.

On 9/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, Arjan said:

Price will be.....

interesting

It is there on the site.  https://www.hardbody4x4.com/uploads/6/4/2/2/6422733/usd_-_land_rover_pricing_-_retail_-_june_2020.pdf

#9002 Land Rover Series II 2 Door Body & WSF $6,670

#9110-4 Land Rover Defender 110 4 Door Body & WSF $7,578

#9033-A Defender Front Half Doors (pr.) $1,601

#9033-F Defender Rear Half Doors (pr.) $1,420

#9022 Series II Front Fenders (pr.) $1,624

#9023 Defender Front Fenders (pr.) $1,847

#9012 Defender Storage Tailgate $669

#9029 Series II Front Grille $218

#9030 Defender Front Grille $287 

13 hours ago, Red90 said:

Is it just me or does nothing line up properly on the front end?  The bonnet is too long and the light surrounds go above the curves.

img-20200601-111753_orig.jpg

In fairness, Land Rover never bothered aligning stuff properly either - all Defenders have droopy front wings because the bonnet slam panel is 7mm longer than the space between the chassis brackets for the bottoms of the wings, and the plastic light surrounds slope even more because the sidelight and indicator positions in the plastic are off by a few mm too.  The right wing is invariably worse than the left, and it really shows on aircon models where the light surround touches the extended nose - the gaps are very different.  But yes, the whole front end looks a little short and the curvature of the wing fronts does look to be a more continuous profile than the original.

Does anyone else dislike the absence of the wing panel joint lines?

I think the larger radius on the front of the wings is almost entirely why it looks wrong - that appears to be a standard defender bonnet that's fitted (presumably why it's painted when the rest is bare metal), and it overhangs because it's made to meet the much tighter radius of the standard wings.