X-Brake PTO type

I had to replace the NRC7984 abutment plate recently cos mine had broken away from the top bolt, bit of a pain to change, but as a result my hand brake /x-brake has lots more feel, when letting it off now I can feel the caliper spring releasing the tension.

One question: is it more difficult to fit the X-eng handbrake to a Disco rather than to a Defender?

Jim,

Fitted one to my disco nearly 2 years ago.. there's some pics here

I did it before Si had the modified calipers, so had to modify it myself. Now he has the calipers modified out of the box, so there isn't a problem. Only small issues I found were you have to cut the heatshield for the exhaust back a bit, and you need to ensure the bracket for the cable does not interfere with the floor as it's all very close. I am pretty sure it's all covered in the instructions tho.

I have had it on and off for various reasons several times now (not to do with the handbrake!), and can fit it from parts in about 20 minutes...

Any other disco queries Jim, let me know.

Cheers

Mark

• 6 months later...
To be fair, with the right bits, it shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours.

I wasted a lot of time by sitting underneath my 110 and thinking what needed to be done and fiddling. If I'd known the secret to adjusting the arm (95% of them shouldn't need the arm adjusting - mine did), I'd have been far, far quicker.

I posted this to highlight that even a complete twit like me can do it, despite having problems with things. The quality and simplicity of the product is exceptional.

Look on X-Eng's website here for details.

So when I get one for the 90 (its on the list) I know who will come and fit it for me then :lol:

John, is that after the soft top, rock sliders, new MT's....? :lol:

If / when you do, no problem at all old boy.

However, if you want a decent secondhand drum assembly, my old one's still in the garage.

John, is that after the soft top, rock sliders, new MT's....? :lol:

If / when you do, no problem at all old boy.

However, if you want a decent secondhand drum assembly, my old one's still in the garage.

Its on the wish list somewhere Si :lol:

The drum assembly fitted works fine so no rush but I just fancy a X brake when time is right ;)

• 7 months later...
Fitted one to my 110 with overdrive on Christmas eve.

Really simple to fit, well impressed.

Hi! Simon,

Which overdrive you have for your 110. Does it really make a difference by adding an overdrive inspite of having 5 gears. I have a 110 with a 2.5 N/A Diesel & a LT77 gearbox. Am planning on adding an overdrive. Got a quote for a 2nd hand one at £650.

Will also add a X-brake later. Appreciate your responce!

Hi! Simon,

Which overdrive you have for your 110. Does it really make a difference by adding an overdrive inspite of having 5 gears. I have a 110 with a 2.5 N/A Diesel & a LT77 gearbox. Am planning on adding an overdrive. Got a quote for a 2nd hand one at £650.

Will also add a X-brake later. Appreciate your responce!

as Simon's reply was in 2007, he most likely has a GKN Overdrive fitted same as I have, £650 is what I got mine for including postage, you can see the overdrive fitted to mine in the photos.

• 8 years later...

Any experience here mounting the x-brake on a def td4 2.2?

There is no clearance whatsoever, the top of the caliper operating lever is even just underneath the cross member of the chassis, the pictures above show a play up to 10-12mm...

As there is no clearance the drivetrain gives an enormous amount of vibrations and loud noise, plus the spring is under constant pressure giving no space to the pads in the caliper, resulting in a metal-on-metal noise and heating up the disk.

I've been told that there is a difference in lenght between the gearbox of a def td5 an the newer td4 2.4/2.2 - so the kit is not mountable in the newer versions.

Adjusting the crossmember by grinding is no option as the MOT does not allow this type of adaptation to the chassis, resulting in a non-legal vehicle.

Any ideas?

Thanks! Geert.

conversie.jpg