Seen in a Series, where did this LR air-filter box come from?

Landrover17H

So it 'fell' out of a Discovery 1?  Good. Surface area  is King. That'll breathe better than the oil-bath,  Series owners would have anyone that'll listen believe their oil-bath is an Air-filter Holy Grail'.  Haven't looked but I suspect a quality  Discovery 1 filiter is under a tenner on eBay too. Thanks gents.

Edited by Landrover17H

14 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

So it 'fell' out of a Discovery 1?  Good. Surface area  is King. That'll breathe better than the oil-bath,  Series owners would have anyone that'll listen believe their oil-bath is an Air-filter Holy Grail'.  Haven't looked but I suspect a quality  Discovery 1 filiter is under a tenner on eBay too. Thanks gents.

The oil bath filters have some advantages - easy to service in remote places without parts; you just need to wash it in petrol and add new oil, available in any town.  It’s very effective at trapping even small particles.  It’s self cleaning with the sloshing of the oil, until it gets really bad.  It doesn’t get torn and then let everything through.  It doesn’t matter if the breather from a worn engine is routed into the housing; it’ll not clog and break down any paper element.

The flip side is the threat of oil ingestion and engine runaway if the vehicle gets to extreme angles or is rolled, especially with turbo chargers, and it’s messier and more time consuming to clean than a paper filter.  I doubt the air flow rate of the Series oil bath filters is restrictive to any later LR engine, so I’d be surprised if the paper filters gave any performance benefit.